The profession of Hostess is highly demanded in the USA, Canada, UK, and worldwide.
Hostesses are usually employed in restaurants, hotels, hospitals, resorts, and other hospitality settings.
The duties of a hostess are challenging and require excellent organizational and customer service skills.
As a hostess is the primary contact person for guests, they are accountable for maintaining an exceptional first impression.
In order to apply for a hostess job, you will need to write a compelling resume. The following tips and sample resume will assist you in writing or updating your resume for a hostess position.
Hostess Resume Writing Tips
- Emphasize your skills in taking reservations, organizing the dining area, and greeting and communicating all pertinent information to patrons and staff.
- Keep your resume short and to the point – no more than one page.
- Send a Hostess Cover Letter along with your resume.
Hostess Resume Sample 1
Olympic Valley, CA
“I am poised to provide prompt and courteous service to the guests by utilizing my exceptional hospitality and customer service skills.”
Friendly and polite food service professional with 10+ years of extensive experience working as a Hostess with renowned restaurants. Pleasant personality, courteous demeanor, and neat appearance. Excellent ability to provide accurate service and information to guests. Outstanding telephone etiquette and ability to stand and walk for extended periods.
- Actively communicate with kitchen staff and coworkers
- Maintain a clean and organized work area
- Handle waiting list of guests
- Greet and interact with guests in a professional manner
- Answer telephone and books reservations
Destination Resorts, Olympic Valley, CA
May 2019 – Present
- Warmly greet 200+ guests every day and assist them in finding the table of their choice
- Present menu and inform guests about exclusive deals of the day
- Organize wait list, relay orders to the kitchen staff using POS, and oversee activities of servers
- Ensure that requirements for all guests including small children, and disabled or food-allergic persons are met
- Oversee and maintain the reception area
- Create new settings as per requirements and clear previous settings if not needed
- Ensure professional departure of guests and invite them to visit again
- Reorganized serving methods which improved delivery time and guest satisfaction by 30%.
- Improved the interior design of the seating area which increased the customer retention ratio by 20%.
Marriott Club – Olympic Valley, CA
Sep 2015 – May 2019
- Greeted and seated guests
- Monitored the flow of guests as per the seating chart
- Provided quick and exact information and directions to guests
- Answered questions regarding the menu and services
- Ensured coverage of the hostess stand at all times
- Answered phones, took messages, and made reservations
Starwood Hotel, Houston, TX
Mar 2011 – Sep 2015
- Escorted guests to tables and assisted them with seating
- Anticipated the guests’ needs and personalized service
- Answered questions regarding menu items and dining experience
- Monitored reservations for VIPs and Special Guests
- Assisted in maintaining the cleanliness of the restaurant
Associate’s Degree in Hospitality
City College, Houston, TX – 2010
“I always work hard to maximize revenue.”
Hostess Resume Sample 2
carol.patt @ email . com
❖❖ HOSTESS ❖❖
Energetic and highly motivated hostess with 5+ years of extensive experience in the food service industry. Expertly worked in fine dining restaurants, provided high-quality services, and maintained a constant professional attitude. Focused on ensuring customer satisfaction through the provision of exceptional customer service specifically food and wine recommendations. Bilingual: English/Spanish.
• Handling reservations for different meal periods.
• Customizing meals by considering customers’ individual tastes and popular meal combinations.
• Coordinating delivery of exceptional customer services and constant customer satisfaction to ensure repeat business opportunities.
• Inspecting and maintaining dining facilities to ensure delivery of smooth services.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
• Reservations Handling
• Food Safety and Hygiene
• Table Management
• Menu Recommendations
• Table Rotations
• Stock Maintenance
• Reined during a particularly tricky situation involving confused reservations, by ensuring customer satisfaction for both parties
• Recommended addition of healthy food to the menu, resulting in an increased customer base.
• Reduced supplies cost by $2000 per month by recommending bringing onboard a local supplier.
• Held 5 workshops on food safety and hygiene as part of a food preparation training program.
Hyatt, Wilton, ME
July 2018 – Present
• Greet patrons as they arrive and inquire if they have reservations
• Lead customers to tables reserved in their names and assist them in getting settled
• Offer menus and provide information regarding the day’s specials
• Assist customers in making food and beverage ordering decisions by providing them with ingredient and health information
• Take and repeat orders to ensure that they have been recorded accurately and relay them to the kitchen
• Follow up with the kitchen staff to ensure timely delivery of orders
• Check prepared orders to ensure accuracy, portioning, and garnishing
• Deliver orders to customers in a time-efficient manner
• Coordinate the preparation and delivery of checks to customers and process payments
• Respond to telephone calls for information and take and record the reservation
• Oversee the management of supplies inventory and maintain liaison with vendors
Hilton Resort, Wilton, ME
May 2017 – July 2019
• Led customers to their designated/reserved tables and helped them settle down
• Take orders from waiters and relayed them to the kitchen areas
• Followed up on orders and ensured that prepared orders are properly garnished and portioned
• Held order trays while servers placed individual servings for customers
• Refilled condiments and beverages and took orders for additional items
• Cleaned tables and chairs and removed and replaced soiled dishes and flatware
ABC Agency, Wilton, ME
Dec 2005 – Mar 2007
High School Diploma
AAA High School, Wilton, ME – 2005
• POS System
• Word and Excel
Hostess Job Description for Resume
A carefully written experience section of a hostess’s resume maximizes the chances of getting an invitation for an interview. You can use the following phrases in the EXPERIENCE or EMPLOYMENT section of your resume.
- Greet guests and patrons personally as they enter the establishment.
- Receive and record dining reservations on the telephone.
- Ensure the proper set up of dining and service areas.
- Offer appropriate seats using a genuine and personable demeanor.
- Politely request guests to wait in the waiting area if no table is available.
- Ensure neatness and cleanliness of stations.
- Present menus, make recommendations, and take orders.
- Ensure the quantity of food is sufficient to cater to the number of guests.
- Relay orders to the kitchen and ensure all orders are filled in a timely and accurate fashion.
- Maintain clean and organized tables and work areas.
- Assist room service staff when needed.
- Manage event-related work including setting up tables and maintaining both the exterior and interior of the restaurant.
- Resolve guests’ concerns in a prompt manner.
- Prepare food and beverages when needed.
- Liaise with staff and customers to ensure great service.
- Order table linens, napkins, and other dining room supplies.
Hostess Skills and Qualifications for Resume
The ‘SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS‘ or ‘SKILLS‘ section of a Hostess Resume plays a significant role because it shows the core competencies or qualifications that the employer is seeking.
This section might also be called STRENGTHS for candidates with no experience in hand.
The following is a list of qualifications and skills for the hostess that you might consider adding to your resume.
- Highly skilled in greeting guests, escorting them to tables, and providing them with the menu and daily specials.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate and address guests service needs and thank guests with genuine pleasure.
- Strong knowledge of standard menus of bars, restaurants, and room service.
- Well-versed in greeting guests and pleasantly answering telephones.
- Hands-on experience in assigning work tasks and organizing activities of dining room workers to ensure timely service for patrons.
- Proven record of inspecting dining room serving stations for tidiness and sanitation.
- Able to ensure special requests are lodged and passed to restaurant staff.
- Proven ability to adjust complaints of patrons and guests.
- Competent at making sure that all guest supplies are filled.
- Exceptional talent for maintaining inventory.
- Committed to providing exemplary guest and hospitality service.
- Personable, friendly, and self-reliant.
- Known to work calmly and efficiently in fast-paced and busy environments.
- Effective team player with a particular focus on achieving sales goals.
- Accurate and thorough in bill calculation and collection.
- Talented in following recipes and portions when preparing food and beverages.
- Recognized for meeting productivity standards and completing work on time.
- Communication: Able to communicate effectively in English and Spanish.
- Computer: MS Word and MS Excel