The present-day job market is not very friendly towards people having gaps in their work history.
The situation, however, can be tackled nicely if you build your resume intelligently.
What you need is to build a functional resume. A functional resume is skills based and mentions previous experience towards the end.
Unlike the reverse chronological format, a functional format will divert the attention of the reader away from your chronological work history, towards your transferable skills.
To craft a functional resume, it is crucial to optimize your qualifications and illustrate your skills in a pertinent manner.
Transferable homemaker skills play an important role in this regard.
You may not have the exact experience the employer is seeking, but if you formulate your transferable skills optimally, you’ll be able to convince the employer about the viability of your candidacy.
Below is a resume template for homemaker returning to work and seeking a nursing position.
Resume Template for Homemaker Returning to Work
|677 Bloom Ave, Denver, CO 98661|
miranda @ email . com
Highly compassionate and dedicated nursing professional with 7+ years’ successful track record. Known for providing care to elderly and chronically ill patients in the hospital as well as home settings. Expert in patient charting and documentation, medicine administration and instrument sterilization. CPR and BLS certified.
- Profound ability to anticipate and cater for clients’ needs
- Well practiced in providing personal hygiene care and grooming assistance
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to build rapport with clients in a short time
- Skillful in general housekeeping and laundry tasks
- Reliable vehicle with current driver’s license and clean driving record
- Achieved 100% client satisfaction based on the feedback forms.
- Timely identified early symptoms of an asthma attack and shifted the patient to the hospital.
- Enhanced family and physician coordination massively by updating the patient’s daily record format.
CAREER BREAK | 2008 to 2019
- Raised and groomed three children
- Performed housekeeping, cleaning and household work
- Managed budgets, ran errands and shopped for grocery
- Picked up and dropped children to and from school
NORTHWEST HOSPITAL, Denver, CO | 2004 to 2008
- Conducted oral and IV medical administration
- Provided bedside and catheter care to patients
- Assisted the physicians during medical procedures
- Prepared patients for x rays and lab tests
DENVER HEALTHCARE, Denver, CO | 2001 to 2004
- Kept record of assigned patients
- Maintained ward inventory lists
- Provided medical supplies to staff and nurses
Nursing Assistance Certification | 2000
DENVER TECHNICAL COLLEGE, Denver, CO