The present day job market is not very friendly towards people having gaps in their work history. The situation however can be tackled nicely if you build your resume intelligently. What you need is a functional resume. A functional resume is essentially skills based and mentions previous experience towards the end. Unlike the reverse chronological format, a functional format will divert the attention of the reader away from your chronological work history, towards your employable skills.
To nail a functional resume, it is crucial to optimize your qualifications and illustrate your skills in a pertinent manner. Transferable skills play an important role in this regard. You may not have the exact experience the employer is seeking, but if you formulate your transferable skills optimally, you’ll be able to convince the employer about the viability of your candidacy.
Below is a resume template for homemaker returning to work and seeking a nursing position.
|677 Bloom Ave • Denver, CO 98661|
(009) 444 – 2222 • miranda @ email . com
SUMMARY: Highly compassionate and dedicated nursing professional with , accomplished bedside patient care provider to elderly and chronically ill patients in hospital as well as home settings. Expert in patient charting and documentation, medicine administration and instrument sterilization. CPR and BLS certified.
HIGHLIGHTS OF QUALIFICATIONS
• Profound ability to anticipate and cater for client needs
• Well practiced in providing personal hygiene care and grooming assistance
• Track record of following medical charts timely and to the book
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to build rapport with clients in a short time
• Skillful in general housekeeping and laundry tasks
• Reliable vehicle owner with driver’s license and clean driving record
• Achieved 100% client satisfaction based on the feedback forms.
• Timely identified early symptoms of asthma attack and shifted the patient to hospital.
• Enhanced family and physician coordination massively by updating the patient’s daily record format.
Homemaker, 2008 to 2014
• Raised children
• Performed household work
NORTHWEST HOSPITAL, Denver, CO
Registered Nurse, 2004 to 2008
• Conducted oral and IV medical administration
• Provided bedside and catheter care to patients
• Assisted the physicians during medical procedures
• Prepared patients for x rays and lab tests
DENVER HEALTHCARE, Denver, CO
Ward Attendant, 2001 to 2004
• Kept record of assigned patients
• Maintained ward inventory lists updated
• Provided medical supplies to patients and nurses
DENVER INSTITUTE OF MEDICAL SCIENCES
Nursing Assistance Certification, 2000