Making the skills section on a receptionist resume is as important as the experience and accomplishment sections. The skills section can do wonders as far as selling your resume to a prospective employer is concerned.
To build a right skills section, you need to mention only relevant skills and abilities in bullet or tabular form.
In almost any front desk position, communication and interpersonal skills hold the most importance. This is because even if you are not working at a job that keeps you in direct contact with customers, you will be working with other people and it is essential for employers to know that you can work well with your peers.
You will also see that almost every advertisement for any position will state that a company is looking for someone with excellent organizational and time management skills. This is because both are extremely important if you want to ensure the efficacy of your work.
Following are some skills that a receptionist is expected to possess (and can mention in a receptionist resume) when applying for this position.
Sample Skills List for Receptionist Resume
• Excellent communication skills aimed at providing exceptional tier one service
• Knowledge of protocols governing telephone conversations
• Demonstrated ability to handle complex scheduling and appointment handling tasks
• Expert in using and maintaining office equipment including photocopier and fax
• Computer: MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
• Typing speed: 55 WPM with accuracy
• Exceptional proofreading and editing skills
• Competent at public speaking and building public relations
• Track record of success providing administrative and clerical support to various departments
• Demonstrated proficiency in handling research and development activities
• Deep knowledge of managing guest books and arranging meetings
• Able to prioritize work and handle office support tasks efficiently
• Self-motivated with keen time management and organizational skills
• Able to decipher problems and initiate workable solutions
• Exceptional accounting skills aimed at performing detailed accounting functions and providing accounting and payroll support
• Integrative learning skills targeted at incorporating different types of skills to achieve success
• Record of remaining tactful and diplomatic in order to stave off problematic situations
• Technology savvy with a great ability to handle company information in databases
• Known for working efficiently in a team environment as well as independently
• Effective decision-making skills
• Strong ability to multitask