Maintenance Technician Job Description
Without the help of maintenance technicians, we would be left with a lot of fancy mechanical and electrical equipment and live in great building structures but no one to make their upkeep a certainty.
Maintenance workers primarily perform repair and maintenance work which may include fitting pipes, handling insulation needs of a building, and performing some carpentry work as well along with handling and overseeing cleaning activities.
As jacks-of-all-trades, maintenance technicians perform many tasks that are particular to ensuring the preservation of a building.
They work in many environments such as hotels, hospitals, schools, universities, and office and residential buildings; their work duties remain the same no matter which organization they are working in.
Maintenance technicians usually have a team of maintenance workers whom they supervise and ensure that their work is coordinated.
It is important to keep the structure of a building in perfect working order at all times which is why maintenance technicians perform investigative duties on an almost daily basis.
In apartment buildings, it is the responsibility of a maintenance technician to perform make-ready processes for vacant processes in order to ensure that it is ready for the next tenant.
Related: Maintenance Technician Cover Letter
Below is a list of all the duties that a maintenance technician is expected to perform when working in this position. You can use these phrases to build your resume.
Sample Job Duties for Maintenance Technician Resume
• Chart out and implement general and preventative maintenance tasks on buildings and grounds
• Handle installation, repairs, plumbing, and electrical issues
• Respond to maintenance requests put forward by residents or staff in terms of electrical, heating, and plumbing needs
• Manage repair work on walls, floors, doors, and woodwork
• Paint the interior of the building and inspect and respond to safety issues
• Document findings in terms of needed repairs and performed duties
• Ensure that buildings and grounds are kept free of debris and trash
• Handle maintenance and troubleshooting of mechanical processes
• Ensure that the inside of buildings such as rooms, offices, and restrooms are kept clean and sanitized during the day
• Make sure that fire detection and protection systems are in perfect working order
• Check and perform maintenance activities on alarm systems
• Remove graffiti from walls and report any acts of vandalism to the appropriate authorities
• Assure the implementation of security and safety standards
• Alert appropriate authorities of any malfunctions in fire or alarm systems
• Respond to emergency situations in a prompt manner
• Hire and train maintenance workers in order to assign them different maintenance tasks