3rd Grade Teacher Job Description
There is a lot more to teaching than mere instruction. This is especially true where elementary school teachers are concerned, as they have a lot of responsibility on their shoulders.
The first and foremost responsibility of a 3rd grade teacher is to create a developmentally appropriate curriculum for 3rd graders. This will involve determining what students aged between 8 and 9 need in terms of physical, emotional and educational development.
Once this is determined, a 3rd-grade teacher will work along with the school management to develop an appropriate curriculum so that these needs are met. The rest comes afterward.
3rd Grade Teacher Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement core curriculum for 3rd-grade students to meet their varying educational, social, and emotional needs
- Design lesson plans while ensuring that they are imparted according to each student’s ability to grasp concepts
- Establish and enforce behavioral rules in class and ensure that they are followed by each student
- Administer exams and tests and check and grade copies and papers to determine how well students have performed
- Ensure that students comprehend concepts across different subjects and assist any students who may not be able to keep up
- Adapt teaching methods to each individual student’s ability to handle instruction
- Assess and evaluate individual students to determine their strengths and weaknesses
- Plan and conduct activities to ensure that instructional programs are balanced and provide students with an opportunity to observe and question
- Instruct student in groups and individually, depending on their ability to handle the pressure
- Observe students’ behavior and performance and intervene in adverse situations between students
- Instruct and lead students in the use and care of materials and equipment such as computers and projectors
- Prepare and implement remedial programs or classes for students falling behind on targets
- Confer with parents to provide them with insight into their children’s progress and provide suggestions for improvements where necessary
3rd Grade Teacher Educational Requirements
3rd grade teachers need to possess a degree in education and some experience in handling the social, cognitive, and educational needs of young children. They are given a better quality consideration if they have been formally trained as 3rd grade teachers.