Elementary school teachers need to be able to design appropriate curriculum and impart lesson plans intending to enforcing learning and personal growth.
For instance, a 5th-grade teacher will be required to motivate students to develop skills and attitudes that will eventually prove favorable for when they reach a middle school program.
The primary responsibility of a 5th-grade teacher is to establishing lesson plans in accord with each student’s ability.
Once this is in order, the teacher must teach a variety of subjects, including language arts, social studies, mathematics, and science.
At this level, one teacher is usually required to teach all subjects to a class, which is why she needs to possess in-depth knowledge of all.
Sample Job Description for 5th Grade Teacher Resume
• Create, develop and implement core elementary school curriculum
• Develop lesson plans and impart education based on individual students’ abilities
• Assign homework and classwork to students and assist them with queries
• Provide special attention to students who may not be able to handle complex questions
• Teach a variety of subjects including language arts, social studies, art, science, and mathematics
• Develop learning aids and materials for the purpose of teaching concepts in class
• Use a wide array of instructional strategies such as lectures, group discussions, and inquiry to facilitate understanding
• Ensure that each lesson plan is translated into learning experiences so that instruction time is used effectively
• Establish and maintain standards of student behavior and ensure that it is adhered to
• Create productive environment for students by employing learning tactic through functional and attractive classroom displays
• Supervise students during classes to ensure that they are working properly
• Oversee outdoor activities to ensure the safety of students
• Celebrate student work by displaying it on bulletin boards with a view to encourage them
• Ensure that teaching methods are adapted to the varying needs of individual students
• Work with teaching aides to develop and impart interactive classroom activities
• Grade classwork and homework on a regular basis
• Prepare and administer the test to evaluate students’ understanding of concepts introduced in class
• Observe students for behavioral changes and report any conclusive observations to the school administration
• Evaluate student progress periodically and prepare reports
• Confer with parents and guardians to provide them feedback on students’ progress and limitations
• Maintain accurate student records
• Prepare students for subsequent grades by encouraging them to participate in “discovery” projects