In order to write an effective functional or skills-based resume for an RN position, the candidates need to understand precisely why they need one.
As the title suggests, a skills resume tends to bring the employer’s focus onto the candidate’s transferable skills and qualifications while diverting it away from the chronological work history.
The experience section usually comes at the bottom of the functional resume.
By the time the reader reaches this point, he or she is often already sold on your skills. You need a functional resume if you:
- Have gaps in your employment history
- Are a frequent job changer
- Are re-entering the workforce
Whatever the case may be, a functional resume will get you the attention you need by highlighting your skills more than your work history.
Take a look at the sample of functional resume for registered nurse given below:
Registered Nurse Functional/Skills Resume Sample
3110 Olympus Ave
Athens, OH 54112
laura @ email . com
Committed to improving the quality of patient care and satisfaction.
Extremely-organized and compassionate Registered Nurse with hands-on experience in providing care to patients of diverse backgrounds. Track record of exceeding patient’s and family’s expectations of bedside care. Expert in a diverse range of nursing tasks including; dressing, sterile field maintenance, relationship building, history taking, and medicine administration. Bilingual: English/Spanish.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
Procedure Assistance | Infusion
Diagnostic Testing | Bedside Care
Clinical Documentation | Wound Care
IV Site Assessment | Suction Operations
Case Management | Catheter Care
KEY ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN NURSING
• Ensured 24-hour availability of medical supplies by implementing a highly effective supplies inventory mechanism.
• Enhanced the patient satisfaction level by 60% through demonstration of vigilant bedside care practices.
• Assisted in setting up a rehabilitation unit effectively consisting of 50 beds in 7 days.
Athens Children Hospital, Athens, OH
• Administered IV medications
• Implemented the patients’ care plan
• Coordinated the patient’s progress with doctors
• Maintained patient progress charts
Northwest Hospital, Athens, OH
• Ensured availability of medical supplies at the ward
• Prepared patients for medical procedures and lab tests
EDUCATION & LICENSURE
BSN, Athens College, Athens, OH
Current Ohio RN License
CPR Certification, AAHS
EXCERPT FROM REFERENCE
“Laura is an expert in providing constant support through complete assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of patient needs.”
– John Andrew, Nurse Manager, Athens Children Hospital
Related: Cover Letter for RN Resume