In freight companies and others that have defined shipping needs, packing and shipping clerks play an important role. Responsible primarily for handling the many pivotal duties aimed at ensuring smooth shipping activities, Packing and Shipping Clerks keep busy all day long.
Packing and shipping clerks pick out items from storage areas and ensure that they are in good working order along with making sure that the items are packed carefully.
A packing and shipping clerk is also required to record information of each item in a logbook and ensure that items are correctly labeled.
He or she will also be responsible for ensuring that all associated documentation is shipped with the item.
Once an item has been picked and packed, it is the responsibility of the packing and shipping clerk to deliver it safely to the shipping pallet and ensure that it is safely loaded onto the delivery vehicle.
Job Description for Packing and Shipping Clerk Resume
• Pick items from storage areas by following picking orders
• Ensure that picked items are in good working condition by testing and examining them
• Report any damaged items to supervisor and make sure that they are replaced
• Transport packed things from storage areas to the parking area
• Ensure that items are packed carefully by using packing materials
• Make sure that packed cartons are sealed and labeled appropriately
• Ensure that all accompanying documentation is present with packed items
• Operate forklift in order to transport packed items to the shipping pallet
• Make sure that packed items are lowered onto the shipping pallet by following safety guidelines to ward off potential damage
• Assist in loading packed items onto delivery trucks and make sure that they are stacked properly
• Prepare shipment papers following guidelines provided by the company
• Make arrangements for pick up of shipments before delivery to the pallet
• Arrange for an adequate supply of shipping materials at all times
• Forward requisition requests n a timely manner
• Ensure that all work areas are clean and maintained at all times
• Perform both preventative and general maintenance on equipment and tools used to handle shipments
• Enter order and shipment information in company-provided database
• Provide information about each shipment to the supervisor and at the delivery point
See also: Shipping Clerk Cover Letter