All kinds of vehicles need specialized technicians that perform maintenance and repair tasks. This goes for motorcycle technicians as well who handle a series of repair and maintenance activities on small engines.
Motorcycle Technicians usually specialize in two or three-wheeled vehicles such as mopeds and motorcycles; some motorcycle technicians are trained in handling bikes only.
If you have a motorcycle or a moped that you need repaired or looked over, you will need to consider hiring the services of a motorcycle technician.
Primarily, these people perform tasks such as replacing spark plugs and changing oil along with handling more challenging jobs such as disassembling transmissions.
Most motorcycle technicians need to hold a high school diploma at the very least with some formal training in handling duties particular to this position.
Initially working as an apprentice to a motorcycle technician can go a long way in preparing you to work as a motorcycle technician later.
Motorcycle Technician Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform general repair and maintenance work on motorcycles
- Assist with washing and detailing motorbikes
- Diagnose problems with motorbike transmissions
- Troubleshoot issues with knocking and shimmying
- Handle maintenance tasks on fuel lines and tires
- Perform fluid change tasks and ensure that bolts are lubricated properly
- Confer with customers to determine problems with motorcycles to determine issues
- Start motorbikes in order to assess impending problems
- Inspect motorbikes to figure out repair needs
- Work with apprentices and mechanics in order to diagnose and fix problems
- Perform both preventative and regular maintenance on motorcycles and mopeds
- Select appropriate tools to handle repair procedures
- Provide customers with information on repair and maintenance procedures
- Make cost estimates for repair and maintenance procedures to provide to customers
- Explain repair procedures to customers prior to beginning work
- Make lists of needed parts and order or purchase from vendors
- Prepare invoices at the end of the repair or maintenance procedure
- Make a list of parts or tools required for a repair process in case customers want to make purchases themselves
- Provide customers with information on the best brands and possible prices
- Operate a series of equipment and tools in order to manage diagnosis and repair procedures
- Explain diagnostic test results to customers and provide detailed information regarding the extent of damage