You must have heard or read the word ‘tailoring’ hundreds of times while preparing your job application documents. Well, here it comes once again.
Tailoring your accomplishments to your job is imperative if you want to be noticed.
The accomplishments section may not be on top of a resume, but its importance cannot be undermined. Once you are done with mentioning your skills and competencies, it is time to say your accomplishments.
An accomplishments-rich resume can take your career places.
Accomplishments have stories to tell, but these stories cannot be too long as it will defeat the purpose of writing the story in the first place. Experts advise that two sentences are perfect for writing one accomplishment.
But, of course, since one accomplishment is not enough on a resume, you may end up writing two or three or even four if you are that accomplished.
Truthfulness and authenticity are the basis of an accomplishment statement. You pretty much have many handwritten accomplishments but believe it, if they do not sound correct, they will be investigated, and you will be caught. Too much botheration. Stick to the truth, and you are good!
Packing your resume with accomplishments is a recipe for success. In an accomplishment statement, what counts are numbers and percentages. These tell employers the extent of what you achieved, without you having to go into too much detail.
To understand this better, here are a few samples of bookkeeping accomplishments that you can use on your resume:
• Introduced and implemented online bookkeeping which resulted in accurate and timely accounts records management.
• Balanced a particularly complex balance sheet which had one entry missing and was in a state of limbo for three months.
• Stayed under budget for 15 months by ensuring that petty cash disbursement was minimized.
• Redesigned and implemented more effective bookkeeping procedures which decreased accounts management time by 50%.
• Cut $35000 overhead costs by suggesting the use of alternative energy during peak office hours.
• Streamlined bookkeeping operations by ensuring appropriate work slicing for accounting staff.
• Decreased paperwork by 80% by introducing electronic bookkeeping software and training personnel to use it effectively.
• Fixed 18 bugs in accounting software which decreased bookkeeping errors by 99%.
• Conducted five accounting records reconciliations in 15 days, thereby achieving success in unifying charts of accounts.
• Introduced a novel payroll system, which calculated and deducted income tax automatically, thereby reducing manual calculation time by 85%.
• Implemented an accounting filing system that increased data pulling efficiency by 70%.
Last updated on