Room attendants are typically hired by hotels to ensure that guests’ needs as far as housekeeping is concerned, are met in a timely manner. A high standard of work and attention to detail, along with a polite and helpful manner are just some of the prerequisites of working as a room attendant.
The hospitality industry requires optimal service provision, which is why it is important that you are a meticulous and competent person. In addition to this, you will need a lot of physical stamina, as you will be working on your feet for long periods of time.
Typically, you will be working under the supervision of a housekeeping manager, to whom you will have to report your day’s work, along with any issues that need to be addressed.
Guest relations and safety are two of the prime areas that you will have to work on once you are hired as a room attendant.
Since most hotels have around the clock housekeeping team, you might need to work on a rotating shift, so the ability to work during the nocturnal hours is important too. Here is a list of duties that you will be performing on any given day as a room attendant:
Duties and Responsibilities for Room Attendant Resume
- Prepare rooms by sweeping and mopping before new guests check-in
- Turn mattresses and change linen on a regular basis or in sync with guests’ requests
- Wash and sanitize bathrooms and replenish supplies such as soap, shampoo, and towels
- Vacuum carpets and drapes and ensure that they are washed on a regular basis
- Replenish items in the minibar according to set standards
- Ensure that a record of consumed minibar items is maintained
- Deliver and retrieve items such as irons and ironing boards to guests and provide them with security instructions
- Empty waste paper bins and ashtrays and ensure that all waste is properly disposed of or sent for recycling
- Polish furniture and fittings according to established protocols and by safely using cleaning chemicals
- Report any obvious or dangerous room defects or fabric damage to the housekeeping manager
- Make a proper log of all required items and incidents
- Gather laundry from guests’ rooms, deliver it to the laundry area, and ensure that clean laundry is handed over to the guests