In recent times, much importance is being paid to the needs of people with special needs, especially where children are concerned.
Many special education facilities have opened worldwide and many people have been hired to provide support to people who may have disabilities or debilitating diseases.
Special education paraprofessionals are an important part of this revolution as they work on a one-on-one basis with people who have special needs.
As part of their work, special education paraprofessionals are usually asked to work with one person at a time. They are hired in facilities that cater to special needs.
In some instances, they may work with groups of people who have less severe disabilities and can be managed in a group. Paraprofessionals working in this capacity aid special education teachers by providing them with valuable input and help to carry out special education activities.
Additionally, they assist teachers by reinforcing concepts and helping with skills that students will need in order to deal with the challenges of everyday life. They also collect, arrange and distribute learning materials in class.
Some of the particular job duties of a special education paraprofessional are given below:
Sample Job Description for Special Education Paraprofessional Resume
- Assist special education teacher in non-teaching tasks.
- Provide assistance in developing and implementing curriculum for students with special needs.
- Manage educational materials and resources procurement.
- Support students by following the plan of action for rehabilitation.
- Monitor students’ progress and supervise curriculum-based testing procedures.
- Supervise student activities in class, halls, and playgrounds.
- Model classroom behavior and ensure that students follow it.
- Help students during snack time and with their toileting needs.
- Assist teachers in assessing students’ performance and appraisals.
- Maintain students’ and progress reports in the facility’s database.
- Encourage students to take part in specially designed programs.
- Ensure the safety of students at all times.
- Assist in teaching students self-care and enforce positive behavior.
- Alert lead teacher in case of emergencies or problems related to the health or behavior of students.
- Serve as a model in developing students’ confidence.
- Test student to determine their understanding of concepts taught in class
- Ensure confidentiality of student and progress information.
- Provide physical assistant to students who have trouble looking after their physical needs such as sitting and walking.
- Work on a one-on-one basis with students who may need special attention.
- Prepare and distribute educational materials in accordance with the decided lesson plans.