A special education aide (also known as a Paraprofessional) is responsible for supporting and assisting the lead teacher and students. They need to ensure that the lessons are taught accurately as they were designed.
If any of the students do not recognize the lesson or action, a Special Education teacher’s aide assists them and gives extra coaching.
They also help in:
- Collecting and organizing classroom material
- Using body language when the teacher is speaking, if there are deaf students in the classroom
- Helping students with activities they might not be capable of doing for themselves, for example, using the bathroom, or washing their hands.
Here is a good sample resume for this position which will assist you to build or update your resume.
Special Education Aide Paraprofessional Resume Example
21 Valley Street, Houston, TX 98777
SPECIAL EDUCATION AIDE / PARAPROFESSIONAL
“I am a flexible, dependable, and punctual individual who is known to maintain productive relationships with students, teachers, and parents.“
Accomplished Paraprofessional with 10+ years of progressive experience working with physically and intellectually disabled children. Proficient in assisting teachers with varied activities, carrying out instructional programs based on the Individual Education Plan (IEP), and preparing instructional materials and reports for the lead teacher. Friendly and outgoing; work collaboratively for the development and well-being of students.
- Individualized Education Plans (IEPs)
- Behavior Management
- Classroom Support
- Data Collection and Reporting
- Collaboration and Communication
- Adaptability and Flexibility
Special Education Aide
ABC School, Houston, TX
May 2016 – Present
• Support the lead teacher in preparing instructional materials and classroom displays.
• Help students with physical or behavioral disabilities; move, lift, and position them.
• Help students with feeding, toileting, and personal hygiene.
• Maintain a tidy and fully organized classroom.
• Create and manage records using a database.
• Handle secretarial files and prepare reports.
• Provide compass reading and assistance to substitute teachers.
• Work with individual students or little groups to develop skills and conduct instructional exercises allocated by the teacher.
• Supervise students in the lunchroom, bus, and playground.
• Inform the lead teacher of any particular needs or problems of students.
Adams Community School, Houston, TX
July 2011 – May 2016
• Oversaw the arrival and departure of students.
• Monitored students in the dining hall, restroom, hallway, playground, field trips, and school assemblies.
• Provided ongoing support to the special education teacher.
• Supervised students independently and in small groups.
• Prepared a weekly agenda with the help of the teacher.
• Amassed materials, programs, and equipment before the arrival of the students.
• Assisted teacher with official statement boards, repetition of materials, and grading tests.
• Prepared student charts, work folders, and other secretarial duties as assigned by the educator.
Associate’s Degree in Education
Houston City College, Houston, TX
Major: Special Education
Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Training
Texas State Educational Aide Certificate
First Aid and CPR
• MS Office Suite
• Classroom Applications
• Database Management
• Bilingual: English and Spanish
• Able to maintain emotional control under stress
“I efficiently manage the needs of children with different kinds of disabilities.”
How to Write a Great Resume for Special Education Aide Paraprofessional Position?
In order to write a Special Education Aide Paraprofessional resume, follow these steps:
1. Format and Design:
Use a clean and professional resume format that is easy to read. Choose a legible font and maintain consistent formatting throughout the document. Consider using bullet points to highlight key information.
2. Contact Information:
Begin your resume with your full name, professional email address, phone number, and optionally, your LinkedIn profile or personal website. Make it easy for employers to contact you.
3. Professional Summary:
Write a compelling summary statement that succinctly describes your experience, skills, and goals as a Special Education Aide Paraprofessional. Tailor this section to the specific job you are applying for and emphasize your unique qualities.
List relevant skills that showcase your abilities as a Special Education Aide Paraprofessional. Include skills such as:
- Strong knowledge of special education principles and practices.
- Proficiency in implementing individualized education plans (IEPs).
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills for collaborating with students, teachers, and parents.
- Ability to create and maintain a supportive and inclusive learning environment.
- Knowledge of behavior management techniques to promote positive student behavior.
5. Professional Experience:
Detail your work experience, highlighting your roles and responsibilities as a Special Education Aide Paraprofessional. Include the name of the school or organization, the duration of employment, and your key achievements. For example:
- Assisted students with individualized education plans (IEPs) in the classroom and one-on-one settings.
- Supported students in academic activities, including lesson reinforcement and homework assistance.
- Implemented behavior management strategies to promote a positive and inclusive learning environment.
- Collaborated with teachers, therapists, and parents to develop and implement effective support strategies.
- Monitored and documented student progress, providing regular updates to teachers and parents.
List your educational background relevant to the position. Include the degree or certification you obtained, the school or institution attended, and the year of completion.
7. Certifications and Training:
If you have any certifications or additional training related to special education, include them in a separate section.
Conclude your resume by stating that professional references are available upon request.
9. Keywords and Tailoring:
Review the job description carefully and incorporate relevant keywords and phrases throughout your resume. Tailor your resume to highlight the specific skills and experiences requested by the employer.
10. Proofread and Edit:
Ensure your resume is polished and free of grammatical errors or typos. Double-check the formatting, section headings, and overall consistency. Consider asking a trusted friend or mentor to review your resume for feedback and suggestions.
Tailor your resume to the specific job application, highlighting the skills and experiences most relevant to the position. Use clear and concise language, and proofread your resume carefully for any errors or typos.