Substitute teachers are hired on both a temporary and permanent basis. On a temporary basis, they are required to manage classrooms over a short period – usually when a lead teacher is away.
Some schools also hire substitute teachers on a permanent basis so that if at any time a lead teacher is unavailable, the substitute teacher can take her place.
A substitute teacher is usually required to teach all subjects or at the very least know the basics of all.
Typically, a substitute teacher assists with classroom instruction in the absence of a lead teacher.
While substituting, she performs all the jobs of a regular teacher, including handling lessons and ensuring that classroom supplies are aplenty.
It is also the job of a substitute teacher to ensure that regular classroom routines are followed, and discipline is maintained.
How to Write an Interview-Winning Resume for a Substitute Teacher Position?
The following 6 tips and 2 samples will help you write a compelling resume.
- Start your resume with an elementary teacher career summary statement to give a snapshot of your professional teaching career.
- Mention your teaching skills, education, and experience using bullet points under suitable headings.
- Make a brief yet comprehensive resume showcasing your relevant background.
- Write clear and short sentences using a legible font such as Ariel.
- Use keywords that are specific to the teaching field.
- Write descriptive phrases using strong action words.
Here are 2 sample resumes for a substitute teacher position.
Substitute Teacher Resume Sample 1
(6+ Years Experience)
6770 Cherry Tree Lane, Lennox, CA 89392
Focused on inspiring students in all aspects of life.
Dedicated Substitute Teacher with 11+ years of hands-on experience in creating, managing, and delivering lesson plans and implementing school curriculum. Track record of providing a fully supportive and caring environment for students. A tactful individual who exercises control and maintains classroom discipline at all times.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
– Lesson Planning – Progress Reporting
– Communication with Parents – Relationship Building
– Notebook Marking – Record Keeping
– Activity Facilitation – Classroom Management
– Play Time Supervision
- Planned and prepared the children for a tableau during the annual parent’s day successfully when the lead teacher was on leave.
- Initiated a graphics display system of each child’s progress in the form of graphs in respective portfolios which was highly commended.
- Enhanced class performance and participation of a mainstream dyslexic child by 40% through individual attention and well-researched learning facilitation.
- Earned the most helpful aide award during the first year of employment.
- Assisted lead teacher in several activities involving the renovation of the classroom environment during holidays and devising of 21st-century technology-integrated classroom teaching support activities.
AA School, Lennox, CA
May 2016 – Present
- Conduct teaching and classroom activities in the absence of the lead teacher.
- Follow the given lesson plans while implementing and utilizing supportive activities.
- Maintain progress records of all children in their respective portfolios.
- Develop and submit timely lesson planners based on the curriculum in the absence of the primary teacher.
- Keep the bulletin board updated as per the ongoing and upcoming topics of the class.
The Learning School, Lennox, CA
Dec 2011 – May 2016
- Developed and maintained positive relationships with students and parents.
- Participated in all classroom and lesson-planning activities.
- Facilitated the teacher in lesson plan implementation and record keeping.
- Assisted lead teachers in imparting instruction according to set lesson plans.
- Observed students for appropriate classroom behavior and promptly addressed unruly behavior.
- Provided assistance to students with their class assignments and in learning new concepts.
- Supervised students during outdoor activities and lunch hours.
- Designed and developed teaching aids to help students learn new ideas.
Associate of Science in Education
MISSION COLLEGE, Lennox, CA
Substitute Teacher Resume Sample 2
(1-5 Years Experience)
8977 Fielding Ave
Beverly Hills, CA 87211
Energetic and highly organized Substitute Teacher with 4+ years of extensive experience in planning and imparting age-appropriate curriculum. Capable of teaching all subjects and grooming young minds.
- Lesson planning, implementation, and adaptation
- Handling misconduct
- Time management
- Student evaluation and assessment
- Cognitive developmental
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
– Lesson tweaking – Materials development
– Study program planning – Special needs
– Behavior management – Lunchroom duty
– Mentoring – Routine establishment
ABC School, Beverly Hills, CA
- Follow the given lesson plan and implement the same in the classroom.
- Conduct scheduled assessments and check them timely.
- Maintain a neat and clean record of all activities done in class.
- Adapt the lesson plan according to the needs of students.
- Communicate with the parents regularly regarding progress.
- Keep track of all home assignments submitted.
- Assist in various after-school and co-curricular events as needed.
- Maintain student records of attendance and leave.
- Received the Most Dedicated Teacher award twice in 2020 and 2021.
- Responsibly arranged various co-curricular events related to the literacy club during the last two years.
- Handled classroom instructions for an entire month in the absence of the lead teacher.
- Developed a series of teaching aids to assist students in learning complex concepts associated with English grammar.
Hill Sight School, Chandler, AZ
- Studied lesson plans closely to determine ways of carrying out programs of study.
- Created classroom environments that were conducive to learning.
- Guided students to achieve outcomes outlined in the curriculum.
- Assisted students in understanding concepts introduced by the lead teacher.
- Provided support for classroom assignments and special projects.
- Oversaw students’ work and ensured that any behavior issues were handled promptly.
- Performed research work to develop learning materials and ensure that they were correctly implemented.
- Observed students to determine signs of distress and address their issues immediately.
- Supervised student activities during lunch and playtimes.
- Introduced a student record-keeping system that increased information management efficiency by 50%.
- Singlehandedly managed a class of students with special needs for two weeks.
Certificate of K-12 Teaching
Beverly Technical College, Beverly Hills, CA
BA Degree in Education
State University, Beverly Hills, CA
See also: Substitute Teacher Cover Letter Sample
Substitute Teacher Job Description for Resume
- Take instructions from the school office and the lead teacher about handling classroom instruction.
- Read and understand curriculum and lesson plans.
- Refer to the lesson plan left by a lead teacher and ensure that appropriate measures are taken to follow it.
- Ensure that classroom instruction is handled according to the school’s policies, goals, and objectives.
- Manage student behavior and classroom order.
- Ensure that a climate of fairness and respect is promoted.
- Take necessary actions and reasonable actions to ensure the safety of students, materials, and school equipment.
- Collect and correct students’ papers and assignments according to the procedures of the school.
- Return corrected or graded papers to students and make sure that they understand the grading system.
- Hand out instructional materials to students and make sure that they are handled with care.
- Make sure that a non-discriminatory atmosphere is maintained in classrooms.
- Lead extracurricular activities and ensure the safety and well-being of students in the outdoors.
- Follow up on any instructions left for the lead teacher and ensure that they are followed appropriately.
- Evacuate students from the class in an emergency in an orderly manner.
- Take responsibility for students who are picked up late and ensure their safety.
- Create a substitute teaching/instruction report at the end of each day and hand it to the principal.
- Inquire if substitute services will be needed the next day and make appropriate arrangements for it.