When you enter a bakery, the first person who is likely to greet you is a bakery sales associate. They help you locate your desired bakery product, provide you with information on ingredients, and even ring up your sales.
Once you are done shopping, it is usually a bakery sales associate who packs your purchases and helps you carry them to your car.
But work at the front end is not all that a bakery sales associate does.
They also help the baker at the back end by preparing and mixing ingredients, setting up baking equipment such as ovens, and making sure that baked goods are properly packed and labeled. Stock rotating and inventory handling are also two major jobs of a bakery sales associate.
To be eligible for this position, one does not need more than a high school diploma, but if you have had some training in cake decorating and baking, you may be considered a viable candidate – even if you do not have much experience.
Some important duties and responsibilities of a bakery sales associate are given below:
Bakery Sales Associate Job Description Sample
• Greet customers as they arrive at the bakery and respond to their queries regarding baked products.
• Provide customers with information on freshly baked products and their ingredients.
• Assist customers in choosing cakes, pastries, cookies, bread, and pies according to their specific tastes
• Pick chosen pieces, inquire how customers would like them to be packed, and pack them according to specific instructions.
• Ring up sales on the POS system and process credit card and cash payments.
• Assist in carrying purchases to customers’ cars and thank them for their business.
• Procure fresh ingredients for baking goods and assist bakers in preparing and mixing them.
• Set controls on ovens and monitor baking procedures.
• Remove baked goods from ovens and place them on cooling racks.
• Pack cooled baked goods in appropriate packing and label them with the price and expiry information.
• Assist in decorating cakes, pies, and cookies.
• Ensure that baking and mixing utensils and equipment are properly cleaned and maintained.
• Carry baked goods to the front end and place them aesthetically in display cases.
• Set up and update information regarding the day’s specials or specific offers in window displays.