The aroma of freshly baked goods is enough to send anyone into a stupor of eternal bliss – and eventually into a food coma! Have you ever wondered who is behind making us feel this way? The baker of course, but the baker is also backed by an individual who handles food preparation duties in addition to selling activities – the bakery sales associate.
When you enter a bakery, the first person who is likely to greet you is a bakery sales associate. They help you locate your desired bakery product, provides you with information on ingredients and even rings up your sales. Once you are done shopping, it is usually a bakery sales associate you packs your purchases and helps you carry them to your car.
But work at the frontend is not all that a bakery sales associate does. He also helps the baker at the backend by preparing and mixing ingredients, setting up baking equipment such as ovens and making sure that baked good are properly packed and labeled. Stock rotating and inventory handling are also two major jobs of a bakery sales associate.
To be eligible for this position, one does not need more than a high school diploma, but if you have had some training in cake decorating and baking, you may be considered a viable candidate – even if you do not have much experience.
Some important duties and responsibilities of a bakery sales associate are given below:
• Welcome customers as they arrive at the bakery and respond to their queries regarding baked products
• Provide customers with information on freshly baked products and their ingredients
• Assist customers in choosing cakes, pastries, cookies, breads and pies according to their specific tastes
• Pick chosen pieces, inquire how customers would like them to be packed and pack them according to specific instructions
• Ring up sales on the POS system and process credit card and cash payments
• Assist in carrying purchases to customers’ cars and thank them for their business
• Procure fresh ingredients for baking goods and assist bakers in preparing and mixing them
• Set controls on ovens and monitor baking procedures
• Remove baked goods from ovens and place them on cooling racks
• Pack cooled baked goods in appropriate packing and label them with price and expiry information
• Assist in decorating cakes, pies and cookies
• Ascertain that baking and mixing utensils and equipment is properly cleaned and maintained
• Carry baked goods to the frontend and place them aesthetically in display cases
• Set up and update information regarding the day’s specials or specific offers in window displays
Last updated on