Candidates are often intimidated by the task of resume writing for a psychological counseling position. The truth is, if followed step wise the process is actually not that horrible. Here are three broad steps that will help you in building an awesome psychology counseling resume.
• Compiling all the information you need: Always begin by compiling the information you will need. This includes a list of your professional experience with exact dates, your job relevant qualifications, academic details and the like
• Organize all the information into categories and sections: the next step is organizing the information into relevant sections. The typical sections of a resume include contact, summary, experience and education
• Format and proof read your resume: Select an impressive format for your resume and insert all the information. Check your resume for errors and ask a friend to proof read it as well.
Following is a psychology counseling resume sample for your guidance.
544 Rainbow Ave | Laredo, TX 54330 | (006) 555-2222 | jocelyn @ email . com
Dedicated psychological counselor with 6+ years’ experience in psychotherapy as well as individual, couple and groups counseling. Substantial knowledge of modern and contemporary counseling techniques pertaining to various psychological perspectives. Particularly effective in stress and anger management, behavior control techniques and family therapy. Qualifications include:
• Skilled in outreaching and assessing clients and developing an appropriate plan of action to address the conflict
• Well practiced in crisis intervention and effective implementation of therapeutic plan developed after detailed assessment
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE & ACHIEVEMENTS
Doctor’s Hospital, Laredo, TX | April 2011 – Present
• Develop effective rapport with clients
• Assess, diagnose and counsel incoming clients
• Develop appropriate plan of action and execute the same utilizing expertise and acquired skills in psychological counseling
• Resolved high level of conflict in a chronic patient by implementing a combination approach based on humanistic and cognitive behavioral treatments
• Offered counseling to a interracial family on the verge of being broken effectively and contributed in making the home a happy one
Mental Health Counselor
University of Texas, Laredo, TX | April 2007 – March 2011
• Provided counseling services to the individuals in need of it based on teacher’s identification
• Welcomed walk-in students in need of mental health counseling and offered productive services
• Maintained confidentiality at all times
• Pioneered in mental health counseling at the campus by setting up the first independent mental health counseling centre in collaboration with the university’s existing vocational guidance cell
Community College, Laredo, TX | 2007
Bachelor of Science in clinical psychology