To get a correctional officer job, you will need to craft an extraordinary resume and cover letter.
A resume for the Correctional Officer position is a snapshot of your skills, abilities, accomplishments, and experiences. To make sure you highlight the most relevant qualifications, carefully read the job description provided by the employer.
As the average time a prospective employer spends in scanning a resume is reduced, resume format perhaps became the most crucial factor in successful resume writing.
Many formats of resumes are available including chronological, skills/functional, and hybrid/combination. You must choose the format that suits your needs based on your experience level and professional background.
Following is a combination resume for a correctional officer position. This format is useful for professionals of all levels.
Sample Resume for Correctional Officer Position
302 Prospect Street, East Orange, NJ 78300
(009) 524-8574 | Email
- Results-driven and disciplined criminal justice professional with 12+ years of experience in different correctional capacities.
- Adept at securing and monitoring inmates while developing a healthy rapport with them.
- Known for effective prevention of escape and violence.
- Demonstrated ability to enforce regulations and keep order within prisons.
- Proven expertise in managing the activities of inmates.
- Committed to helping in the rehabilitation of offenders.
- Unique talent for inspecting facilities to ensure desired standards.
- Effectively managed an emergency situation of false fire alarms and conducted disciplinary action against the responsible inmate.
- Devised economic health and fitness activities for inmates and was highly commended for the same.
- Attained the award of the most responsible correctional officer in 2019.
State Prison, Las Vegas, NV
4/2012 – Present
- Conduct searches of inmates and their surroundings to ensure no illegal item is kept.
- Perform security observation duties and respond to emergencies.
- Restrain and control offenders as and when necessary.
- Supervise offenders while eating, sleeping, and working.
- Supervise offenders while commuting them from one place to another.
Inmate Records Clerk
State Prison, Las Vegas, NV
5/2006 – 4/2012
- Assisted in supervising offenders in many situations.
- Helped correctional officers in performing body searches.
- Performed paperwork and maintained electronic records.
- Prepared and maintained forms and reports.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
North East University, Lincoln, NE – 2005
Associate Degree in Criminal Justice
Specialized Training (120 hours)
Federal Bureau of Prisons
– Discipline maintenance – Interrogation techniques
– Conduct monitoring – Escorting inmates
– Information recording – Arrest procedures
– Locks inspection – Visitors screening
– Reports evaluation – Meals serving
– Evidence collection – Offender counseling
– Court hearings – Escape prevention
Member, American Correctional Association (ACA)
Recommended: Correctional Officer Cover Letter Sample