To get a correctional officer job, you will need to craft an extraordinary resume and cover letter.
A resume for Correctional Officer position is a snapshot of your skills, abilities, accomplishments, and experiences. To make sure you highlight most relevant qualifications, carefully read the job description provided by the employer.
As the average time a prospective employer spends in scanning a resume is reduced, resume format perhaps became the most crucial factor in successful resume writing.
Many formats of resumes are available including chronological, skills/functional, and hybrid/combination. You must choose the format that suits your needs based on your experience level and professional background.
Following is a combination resume for a correctional officer position. This format is useful for professionals of all levels.
Correctional Officer Resume Example
302 Prospect Street, East Orange, NJ 78300
(009) 524-8574 | Email
Results-driven and disciplined criminal justice professional with 12+ years of experience in correctional capacities. Adept at securing and monitoring inmates while developing a healthy rapport with them. Known for effective prevention of escape and violence.
• Demonstrated ability to enforce regulations and keep order within prisons.
• Proven expertise in managing activities of inmates.
• Committed to helping in the rehabilitation of offenders.
• Unique talent for inspecting facilities to ensure desired standards.
|✓ Discipline maintenance||✓ Interrogation techniques||✓ Conduct monitoring|
|✓ Escorting inmates||✓ Information recording||✓ Arrest procedures|
|✓ Locks inspection||✓ Visitors screening||✓ Reports evaluation|
|✓ Meals serving||✓ Evidence collection||✓ Offender counseling|
|✓ Court hearings||✓ Offender supervision||✓ Escape prevention|
• Effectively managed an emergency situation of false fire alarms and conducted disciplinary action against the responsible inmate.
• Devised economical health and fitness activities for inmates and was highly commended for the same.
• Attained the award of the most responsible correctional officer in 2012.
Correctional Officer | State Prison, Las Vegas, NV | 4/2008 to Present
• Conduct searches of inmates and their surroundings to ensure no illegal item is kept.
• Perform security observation duties and respond to emergencies.
• Restrain and control offenders as and when necessary.
• Supervise offenders while eating, sleeping and working.
• Supervise offenders while commuting them from one place to another.
Junior Correctional Officer | State Prison, Las Vegas, NV | 5/2006 to 4/2008
• Assisted in supervising offenders in many situations.
• Helped correctional officer in performing body searches.
• Performed paperwork and maintained electronic records.
• Prepared and maintained forms and reports.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
North East University, Lincoln, NE | 2005
Associate Degree in Criminal Justice
Specialized Training (120 hours) | Federal Bureau of Prisons
Member, American Correctional Association (ACA)
Last updated on