School bus drivers are responsible for students’ safety and well being during their transportation to and from school. Essentially, school bus drivers pick students up from one point, usually a bus stop or their homes and take them to school and vice versa. But their work does not end here. They need to make sure that students are sitting in a safe manner and that no one is left behind.
Another part of a school bus driver’s job is to take students to field trips. While these trips are supervised by school staff, the responsibility of a bus driver remains quite high. From charting out the shortest and the safest route to making sure that time deadlines are met, school bus drivers need to do it all.
Following are some sample job duties and responsibilities of a school bus driver which might be used to build an effective resume.
• Perform inspection on bus at the beginning of each shift to ensure safety
• Make sure that all fluid and tire air pressure levels are accurate
• Check brakes and lights periodically
• Repair minor mechanical faults in the bus and report major ones
• Pick students up from home / school / bus stop and drop them to their destination
• Ensure that all students are strapped in properly
• Chart out best possible route for the bus keeping in mind time and safety
• Provide safety instructions to students on a constant basis
• Ensure that driving is done in a defensive manner especially where varying traffic conditions and inclement weather is concerned
• Instruct bus attendants to accompany students across streets
• Ensure appropriate student behavior while on-board
• Document and report any unruly behavior of students
• Clean and maintain the exterior and interior of the bus such as seats and carpets
• Assist students with loading their bags onto the bus
• Provide support to students with disabilities by helping them embark and disembark from the bus and assisting them with wheelchairs and car seats
• Maintain mileage information and accident reports
• Keep records of student information such as names, addresses and telephone numbers
• Maintain knowledge of first aid and CPR procedures and perform them in the event of an emergency
• Ensure that the bus is being operated in accordance to relevant legislation and policies