Drivers work in different roles although their duties are more or less the same. Typically, a driver is expected to drive a vehicle from one place to another to transport people or merchandise.
Mainly, they drive a vehicle on a designated route and ensure the safety and timely delivery of passengers or goods.
There are many industries where a driver may work, depending on their license and individual job placement such as:
- Taxi drivers carry passengers from one place to another.
- The construction arena is another place that employs drivers to drive a truck to sites to deliver construction materials and equipment.
- Garbage disposal companies hire drivers to deliver accumulated trash to dump sites.
- Bus drivers are expected to ensure that their passengers reach their destinations, and commercial drivers are expected to deliver goods from one place to another.
Take a look at the following list of types of roles that they are expected to provide services in and some of their duties in that role.
• Drive company vehicles to pick or drop employees.
• Deliver documents and files to required destinations.
• Ensure that all deliveries have been signed and delivered to the correct recipient.
• Keep the vehicle clean and maintained at all times.
• Perform preventative and regular maintenance on the vehicle.
Dump Truck Driver Job Description
• Transport loose materials like gravel, rock, sand, and dirt to required destinations.
• Follow a schedule to ensure timely delivery.
• Chart out the best route possible to save time.
• Verify the types of materials being loaded on the vehicle.
• Perform appropriate maintenance and keep the truck clean.
Concrete Truck Driver Job Description
• Drive trucks carrying concrete from one place to another.
• Operate truck to ensure appropriate mixing and pouring of cement on job sites.
• Perform loading and unloading duties.
• Manage daily inspections of the vehicle.
• Maintain mileage logs.
• Pick passengers and drop them off at their destinations.
• Provide tickets to passengers.
• In the case of carrying students, ensure appropriate behavior is maintained.
• Assist passengers and students on and off the bus.
• Ensure proper maintenance of the bus.
• Pick up guests and passengers and drop them off at their required destinations.
• Assist passengers in embarking and disembarking.
• Assist with loading and unloading luggage.
• Choose the best routes to destinations by using maps and GPS.
• Load and unload materials on and off pallets.
• Perform checks on materials and equipment being carried.
• Drive forklift from one destination to another to ensure the delivery of material and equipment.
• Ensure all product data is logged appropriately.
• Ensure maintenance of forklift periodically.