Couriers make our lives easy no matter which capacity they work in. While a lab courier has nothing to do with patients as far as help is concerned on the face of it, they make things easier behind the scenes.
Picking up and delivering medical records, test results, slides and images and specimens are all in a day’s work for them.
To work as a successful lab courier, one has to be reliable, and time-efficient as the packages that they carry are irreplaceable and need to be delivered before they are spoilt.
Lab couriers usually use vans supplied by the company in order to get their work done.
More often than not, these vans are air appropriately conditioned and may hold refrigerators, so that lab specimen are not spoilt along the way.
They shuttle between hospitals and medical testing facilities in order to get their work done. Since many small hospitals do not have their own laboratories, lab couriers are hired to make sure that testing facilities are available to patients as they play an essential role in getting results to patients.
A lab courier usually drives a company vehicle in which specimens and important papers are transported.
This is the reason that lab couriers are expected to be good and careful drivers and possess clean driving records.
See also: Lab Courier Resume
Lab Courier Job Description
• Take instructions from hospital or lab personnel akin to transporting pharmaceuticals, specimens, test results and other medical documents
• Ensure that proper information regarding courier is attained before embarking on the journey
• Make sure that all required documentation is in place and ensure that the number of deliveries to be made are counted
• Use cell phones or tablets to upload time or delivery and shipment information onto the company website or database in real time
• Chart out the best possible route before embarking on a delivery task
• Ensure that all specimens, medicines or documents are properly secured in the vehicle
• Make sure that items that need to be kept in a cold atmosphere are refrigerated properly
• Deliver items to the destination is a time-efficient manner and ensure its safety
• Take signatures on receipts and make sure that any special information regarding the item is passed on to the recipient
• Keep an inventory of delivered lab items and document logs of picked-up specimens
• Record fuel mileage and ensure appropriate maintenance on the vehicle to ward off any delivery problems