Ward Clerk is an exciting position and requires a lot of human interaction. The position essentially performs the prescribed duties of a general clerk but within a medical setting.
Since the specific location for the position is a medical ward, the ward clerk is required to keep a record of all admitted patients, their bio-data, case details, and charts.
The position is required to interact with nurses, doctors, and patients regularly and is responsible for all ward-related paperwork and file maintenance for every patient admitted in the unit.
In order to write a convincing resume for a ward clerk position, a job seeker must thoroughly understand the requirements of the position and typical duties of the same.
Ward Clerk Job Description Sample
- Update the doctor racks before round timings
- Maintain each patient’s case file and biodata
- Manage the computerized patient database
- Assist nursing staff in patient education
- Ensure the implementation of Kardex or patient care plan including diet, medication, allergy details, and mobility status
- Notify nurses regarding orders and monitor the fulfillment of the same
- Adhere to general hospital safety policy and principles
- Ensure the cleanliness and orderliness of the ward and office area
- Issue charge and requisition cards as and when needed
- Review patient discharge charts and forms to close the case file
- Keep track of follow up visits for discharged patients
- Work collaboratively with the team of physicians and nurses to deliver quality patient care
- Process and maintain MAR (Medication Administration Record)
- Replenish the stock of ward supplies by forwarding timely requisition forms
- Answer patient and patients’ families queries regarding admission, registration, and discharge protocols
- Transcribe medical orders as and when needed
- Answer telephone calls and direct the same to relevant medical staff or relay messages
- Report any issue of concern in the ward to the head nurse directly
Ward Clerk Position Requirements
- Minimum High School Diploma, additional relevant certification preferred
- Proficiency with database and MS office suite
- CPR Trained
- Effective verbal and written communication skills