Before you even think of writing a resume to apply for a bartender position, make sure that you know what the job entails.
A bartender is required to prepare and serve food and beverages to customers in a dedicated pub or restaurant setting. But this is not all that he or she does. Many other duties are particular to the position of a bartender.
To be considered eligible to work as a bartender, you have to a high school diploma or a GED equivalent at the very least. Some previous experience in a bartending position will, of course, be considered a plus point.
Skills and Abilities
Since bartending is typically a “standing” job, it is essential for people working on it to be physically fit enough to be on their feet during their shifts.
Knowledge of mixing the correct amounts and types of drinks and sodas is a given at this position. So is the ability to garnish drinks according to established guidelines for each drink.
Since customers in a bar often get out of hand in case there’s an incident of drunkenness, bartenders have to keep an eye out for trouble, and then handle any issues that may arise in this regard.
If working as a bartender is what you want to do, you will be interested in the following list of job duties particular to this position:
Job Description for Bartender Resume
• Greet customers and patrons as they arrive at the bar, and inquire into their choice of drinks and snacks.
• Provide patrons with information on available drinks and mixes, and present them with menus.
• Provide suggestions to customers regarding drink mixes and food items that complement their drinks, keeping their preferences in mind.
• Take and record orders for drinks and good items, and relay food orders to the kitchen staff.
• Create the right mixes of drinks and sodas, and ensure that proper garnish is done on them.
• Serve created drinks to customers and indulge in suggestive and upselling activities to meet selling targets.
• Ask customers if they would like refills, and suggest addition drink types.
• Respond to customers’ queries regarding available liquors and mixes, and food items.
• Ascertain that the bar is well stocked with glasses, soda bottles, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, and cleaning cloths.
• Create and maintain liaison with vendors to ensure quick and accurate delivery of supplies to the bar or restaurant.
• Ascertain that cleanliness and maintenance of the bar areas, ensuring that any needs for repair are communicated to the bar manager.
• Intervene in incidents such as fights and arguments, ensuring that no damage to people or property is incurred.
• Clean glasses and utensils.
• Sanitize ice tanks, coolers, and bar tools.
• Arrange bottles, merchandise a, d glasses to make a smart display.