Administrative professionals work in many capacities within an office environment.
Their primary job is to ensure the smooth running of the office by handling clerical work and office support work.
Let us have a look at a list of skills that are required to perform administrative duties efficiently.
These statements can be utilized to build an administrative assistant resume.
Sample Skills List for Administrative Assistant Resume
Administrative Assistant Hard Skills
- Writing and handling office and business correspondence
- Filing and updating records
- Budgeting and inventory management
- Handling front desk tasks
- Answeing and forwarding phone calls and correspondence
- Organizing various data entry and file cataloging systems
- Making travel and accommodation arrangements
- Taking and recoriding minutes of meetings
- Performing basic accounting and bookkeeping tasks
- Managing general office procedures
- Operating office equipment including copiers and fax machines
- Researching and analyzing data effectively
- Organizing calendars
- Making travel arrangements
- Scheduling appointments
- Analyzing, evaluating and recommending administrative functions and services
- Maintaining a high level of accuracy and confidentiality
- Maintaining productive written correspondence with stakeholders and vendors
- Issuing and presenting monthly and weekly progress reports
- Liaising between management and employees
Administrative Assistant Soft Skills
- Written and verbal communication skills in English and Spanish
- Customer Service
- Tactfully and diplomatically handling irate clients
- Work prioritization
- Time management
- Working independently and collaboratively
- Organizational skills
- Attention to detail
- Interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and confident
- Stress management
- Flexible working hours
- Customer Service
- Active listening
- Public Speaking
- Problems Resolution
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Problem solving
- Telephone etiquette
- Task prioritization
- Rapport Building
- Convincing Power
Administrative Computer Skills
- Electronic Document Management
- Typing speed: 50 WPM
- MS Office applications
- Standard business software and applications
- Software-based payroll processing
- Employee database software
- Online project promotion
- Social Media
- Email and Outlook
- Desktop Publishing
- Office Software
- Excel Spreadsheets
- Basic computer maintenance
- Basic troubleshooting
- Data entry and data processing
Administrative Assistant Technical skills
- General office machines and equipment
- Voicemail and multiline phone system
- Facsimile machines, scanners, and photocopiers
- Fax machines, video-conferencing, projectors, and other automated equipment
To build a good resume for the administrative assistant position, it is crucial to mention the skills required for the job.
Though specific skills may vary from employer to employer, the core skills that form prerequisites for an administrative assistant position remain more or less the same.
Possessing the required administrative skills is not enough, expressing the same impressively in the resume is very important. Unless the skills are communicated to the employer, they are not noticed, and the resume does not stand any chance of winning an interview.
Considering the nature of an administrative assistant job, the ideal candidate must be able to remain calm and work efficiently under high pressure, meet demanding deadlines, process multiple tasks at the same time, and communicate clearly with other people at all levels.
Ideally, an administrative assistant must be a proactive thinker with the ability to anticipate the executives’ needs and fulfill them promptly.
Good at record-keeping and scheduling, an administrative assistant must also be an effective communicator.