A staff accountant resume is a 1-2-page document that contains information about your professional profile, skills, qualifications, and experiences.
In order to write a perfect resume for a staff accountant position, study the following 7 useful tips and a sample.
Staff Accountant Resume Writing Tips
- Start your resume with a strong summary or objective statement.
- Make a brief and focused experience section.
- Define your value and show your potential supported by quantified achievements.
- Highlight the skills that the prospective employer seeks.
- Exclude any irrelevant details.
- Use short and bullet phrases to express your competencies.
- Send a Staff Accountant Cover Letter along with your resume.
The following is a sample resume for a staff accountant position.
Staff Accountant Resume Sample 1
Experience: 10 Years
Harry Guilford, CMA
610 Zachery Blvd, Charleston, SC 78002
Accounting principles | Audit preparation | Financial controls
Detail-oriented accounting professional with 14 years of progressively responsible experience in journal entries and account reconciliations in accordance with US GAAP, processing vendor credit applications, and tracking vendor insurance requirements. Demonstrated ability to handle special accounting projects independently.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
– Financial Audits – Accounts Reconciliation
– Cash Posting – Ledgers Balancing
– Payroll Processing – Internal Controls
– Vendor Invoicing – LCA Budgeting
– POA Analysis – A/P and A/R
– Cash Flow Projection
PCL Industries, Charleston, SC
5/2013 – Present
• Reconcile 30+ accounts on a daily basis.
• Improve the accuracy of overall accounts operation by 30% through active liaison with other departments.
• Develop cost control initiatives that reduced $26000 annual banking expenses.
• Create general ledger entries and post payments.
• Process and forward vendor invoices and feed the amounts of accounts payable records.
• Maintain balance sheets for all accounts.
• Reconcile multiple bank accounts and issue periodic statements for the same.
ABC Company, Charleston, SC
3/2009 – 4/2012
• Reconstructed staff workloads and made pertinent load divisions, which led to a 30% increase in work efficiency.
• Managed assigned ledgers and posted cash on a daily basis.
• Made general entries for Accounts payable and receivable.
• Processed and generated payrolls and issued associated financial statements.
• Performed backup account support functions.
• Processed and recorded account payable transactions and ensure that all invoices and staff reimbursements are paid on time.
• Efficiently managed the processing of cash receipts and recording of revenue and receivables.
Bachelor of Science in Accounting and Finance
City University, Charleston, SC
• MS Word and Access
• Excel and Spreadsheets
• VMS and JD Edwards
• PeopleSoft Financials
• Bilingual: English/Spanish
• Effective written and verbal communication skills
“I perform multiple tasks simultaneously and adapt to different work environments.”
Staff Accountant Resume Sample 2
Experience: 5+ Years
57 Susan Cir N
Park City, IL 53102
Detail-oriented staff accountant with 7+ years of progressive experience in reconciling balance sheet accounts, general ledger operations, and journal entry preparation. Exceptionally proficient in compiling and analyzing financial information and ensuring appropriate recording and analysis of office expenses.
CORE SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
– Data Collection – Regulatory Compliance
– Internal Controls – Results Evaluation
– Branch Evaluations – Statement Analysis
– Reconciliation – Periodic Closings
– Improvement Initiatives – Verification Handling
– Invoice Support – Funds Management
East West Resorts, Park City, IL
2019 – Present
• Assist with the daily, monthly, and annual operations of the accounting department, including grant management and budget review and analysis.
• Process and record account payable transactions.
• Ensures that all invoices and reimbursements are paid on time.
• Process cash receipts, record revenue, and work alongside the development team to ensure that revenue entries are properly reconciled.
• Review expense coding to ensure grant compliance and ensure that all eligible costs are tagged.
• Process functional and benefits expense allocations, monthly accruals, and amortization of prepaid expenses.
• Prepare and analyze monthly forecasts to actual variance reports per program and department.
• Perform general accounts analysis and reconciliations, such as bank statements, accruals, and prepaid expenses.
• Assist in the preparation of financial reports including financial statements and budget performance reports.
Selected Accomplishments and Results
• Implemented a petty cash disbursement system which proved to be 75% more efficient than the one already in place.
• Streamlined month-end accounts closing by introducing a novel system that was considered 50% more efficacious than the previous one.
Enterprise Holding, Park City, IL
2016 – 2019
• Prepared and maintained accounting documents and records and handled bank deposits and general ledger postings.
• Entered critical data of financial transactions in the database and restored lost account data.
• Prepared and posted journal entries and prepared and analyzed account reconciliations.
• Analyzed corporate expenses such as trended and forecasted results and tracked and allocated costs.
• Maintained purchase order processing systems and handled petty cash accounts.
• Assisted controllers with periodic operations of the accounting/finance department including grant management and budget reviews.
• Reviewed expense coding to ensure grant compliance
• Processed functional and benefits expense allocations.
Selected Accomplishments and Results
• Reconciled a particularly tricky-to-settle financial entry that had the entire department on tenterhooks for over two weeks.
• Introduced an innovative data collection method that increased the chances of the accuracy of the collected information.
Currently enrolled in the CPA program
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
Park City Business School, Park City, IL | 2014
Staff Accountant Job Description for Resume
The following job description statements will help you in building the EXPERIENCE or WORK HISTORY section of your resume.
- Consolidate accounting processes.
- Prepare internal and external financial statements.
- Generate reports such as monthly financial analysis and payroll.
- Post general ledger entries and reconcile accounts.
- Handle preparation activities associated with accruing expenses.
- Develop and implement accounting procedures and recommend any changes in current ones.
- Review financial information to provide accounting support for acquisitions and mergers.
- Maintain purchase order processing and credit card application systems.
- Handle the processing of cash receipts and recording of revenues.
- Review expense coding procedures and eligible costs such as staff reimbursements.
- Prepare and analyze periodic budgets and forecast expenses.
- Reconcile and analyze bank statements, accruals, and prepaid expenses.
- Assist in preparing financial statements, budget performance reports, and financial reporting systems.
- Oversee contract administration duties to ensure that revenue recognition and invoicing documentation is complete and accurate.
- Manage reports pertaining to billing backlog.
- Develop and implement enhanced control procedures for financial systems and processes.
- Assist with month-end closing procedures.
- Make tax returns and ensure that they are filed in a time-efficient manner.
- Organize complex spreadsheets to ensure balance reconciliations between data systems.
- Maintain internal control systems to ensure financial compliance.
- Provide additional accounting support to enhance business decision processes.
- Ensure that all accounting procedures run smoothly and that any discrepancies are identified and handled immediately.
Staff Accountant Skills and Qualifications for Resume
The following skills statements will help you in building the SKILLS or QUALIFICATIONS section of your resume.
- Proficient in preparing financial statements and performing branch evaluations, along with compiling balance sheet account reconciliations.
- Demonstrated expertise in providing financial statements analysis and executing accounts payables and receivables.
- Effectively able to prepare and adjust journal entries and accruals for periodic closings.
- Highly experienced in recommending and implementing automation and other improvement initiatives to streamline periodic close processes.
- Hands-on experience in performing tracking activities for capital planning expenditures and providing back-office support.
- Deeply familiar with supporting financial and accounting functions including annual budgets and reporting activities.
- First-hand experience in performing daily cash depositing activities and reconciling cash receipts to posted cash entries.
- Exceptionally well-versed in resolving payment application discrepancies to ensure client balance accuracy.
- Proficient in reviewing client accounts receivables, following up on delinquent accounts, and recommending appropriate actions.
- Adept at analyzing cash receipt patterns and assisting with weekly cash forecasts.
- Able to prepare schedules for both internal and external audits and provide logistical assistance during auditing activities.
- Proven ability to handle credit and debit adjustments and act as an escalation point for invoicing and renewal queries.