Working in the accounting departments of public companies, private firms, and governmental agencies, staff accountants specialize in internal auditing and cost management activities.
They handle computerized accounting systems and are responsible for preparing financial reports. They are also responsible for maintaining a company’s receivables and payables and preparing and filing tax returns.
Their primary job is to provide accounting management support by performing research and analytic activities.
Staff accountants may also be responsible for providing administrative support such as handling schedules, financial records filing and producing and filling out accounting forms.
It is essential for staff accountants to possess a college degree in accounting if they want to be eligible for this position.
They must also possess keen analytic abilities as they need to analyze numbers on a daily basis. Knowledge of accounting principles and exceptional written skills can go a long way in helping people bag the position of a staff accountant.
Related: Staff Accountant Cover Letter Sample
Job Description for Staff Accountant Resume
• Consolidate accounting processes.
• Prepare internal and external financial statements.
• Generate reports such as monthly financial analysis and payroll.
• Post general ledger entries and reconcile accounts.
• Handle preparation activities associated with accruing expenses.
• Develop and implement accounting procedures and recommend any changes in current ones.
• Review financial information to provide accounting support for acquisitions and mergers.
• Maintain purchase order processing and credit card application systems.
• Handle processing of cash receipts and recording of revenues.
• Review expense coding procedures and eligible costs such as staff reimbursements.
• Prepare and analyze periodic budgets and forecast expenses.
• Reconcile and analyze bank statements, accruals and prepaid expenses.
• Assist in preparing financial statements, budget performance reports, and financial reporting systems.
• Oversee contract administration duties to ensure that revenue recognition and invoicing documentation is complete and accurate.
• Manage reports pertaining to billing backlog.
• Develop and implement enhanced control procedures for financial systems and processes.
• Assist with month end closing procedures.
• Make tax returns and ensure that they are filed in a time-efficient manner.
• Organize complex spreadsheets to ensure balance reconciliations between data systems.
• Maintain internal control systems to ensure financial compliance.
• Provide additional accounting support to enhancing business decision processes.
• Ensure that all accounting procedures run smoothly and that any discrepancies are identified and handled immediately.