The main objective of a person working as a retail sales associate is to sell. S/he may work in any environment – from selling shoes to selling cars. This individual needs to be sales oriented and customer focused.
Retail sales associates are usually the first person a customer meets when enter in a store. They are expected to create and maintain a long-term relationship with the customers in order to achieve sales goals and represent the store in a positive manner while ensuring recurring business. They are also responsible for assisting customers with choices and help them locate them and provide information about the product in question.
In some establishments, a retail sales associate needs to operate cash register once a sale has been made. The role of anyone working at this position does not end here – these professionals are also expected to manage inventory, order stock and even stock shelves. They are also required to price products and update shelves when a new product comes in or if the price of any item changes.
Retail sales associates work closely with customers which is why they need to be able to resolve their complaints in a satisfactory manner. On a more detailed note, they provide customers with product knowledge in terms of features and warranty along with any special discount or deal that the product holds. They should maintain the visual appearance of the store by managing store displays and keep abreast of trends and competition.
Job Description for Retail Sales Associate Resume
• Greeted customers and determined their needs and wants
• Discussed type, quality and number of merchandise required for purchase
• Recommended merchandise based on individual requirements
• Advised customers on utilization and care of merchandise
• Provided advice to clients regarding particular products or services
• Explained the use and advantage of merchandise to customers
• Answered customers’ queries and concerns
• Showed the live working of merchandise
• Quoted prices and discounts as well as credit terms, trade-in allowances, warranties and delivery dates
• Prepared sales contracts and accepted payment through cash, cheque and credit card
• Assisted in display of merchandise
• Maintained sales records for inventory control