Working as a sales associate at Dollar General means that you have to have great talent in you where customer services and selling capabilities are concerned.
You will be expected to perform a lot of functions associated with customers, which is why it is imperative that you are aware of how customers and their transactions need to be managed.
Typically, a high school diploma or a GED equivalent is sufficient to work as a sales associate at Dollar General. Any previous experience in sales or retail will go a long way in helping you get the job. There is a wide variety of skills that you will need to ensure that your candidature is considered for this position. It will include exceptional knowledge of sales concepts and their applications, ability to close sales, and the capability to upsell products.
Proper customer manner and an excellent ability to manage more than one customer at a time will go a long way in making you a great candidate for this job.
Remember that working as a sales associate at Dollar General means that you will also be working in a cashier capacity at some point. That is why it is essential that you know how to handle cash and credit card processing systems. Some of the primary duties of a person working as a Dollar General sales associate include:
Dollar General Sales Associate Duties & Responsibilities
• Welcome customers as they arrive at the store, and inquire into how they want to be assisted.
• Provide customers with information on available products, and lead or guide them to their desired products and aisles.
• Assist customers in picking out the right product, or reaching for products that may be too high or too low to reach.
• Provide information regarding product features and benefits, and how they can be used optimally.
• Indulge in suggestive selling techniques to ensure that the store’s sales targets are met or exceeded.
• Lead customers through the payment process, ensuring that all their purchases are rung into the system.
• Ascertain that baggers are present at the cash counter to handle packing and delivery duties.
• Provide customers with information on return and exchange policies, and timelines within when these are possible.
• Handle stocking activities to ensure that shelves are kept full at all times and that any near expiry products are handled according to company policy.
• Oversee the cleanliness and maintenance of assigned areas, following the protocols of the store.