Skills have never been more important than in a unit secretary position. Working as a unit secretary means than you are in a constant service provider mode and you have to be extremely skilled to make sure that you do a good job. You will only be hired if you possess the skills that are expected of you. You need to be able to use technology with proficiency and possess exceptional mathematics and business acumen.
And all these skills need to be made obvious on your resume so that the employer can gauge that you are actually a good contender for the job. As an applicant, it is your duty to let the employer know that you are worth the job. If you do not do this, you will not be deemed a good candidate. But how does one write skills in an eloquent manner? Simply listing them will not make an impression. But if you can elaborate on how you can use your skills, you will get the hiring manager to sit up and take notice.
The hiring manager will not want a long-winded list of what you are capable of. He will want to know that you have the ability to use the skills you have mentioned to benefit the company that you will eventually work for.
Following is a sample skills list for a unit secretary resume.
• Hands-on experience in performing clerical duties such as answering telephones, distributing mail and storing supplies
• Demonstrated expertise in maintaining and updating patient health information in predefined systems and relaying accurate information to patients and medical staff
• Proficient in scheduling tests, treatments and consultations for patients and actively responding to patient call lights and arranging for patient transfers
• Adept at compiling chart packets and routing patient forms and maintaining medical records
• Qualified to handling insurance coding work along with ensuring appropriate dissemination of patient information
• Competent at preparing and compiling records in hospital units and recording information such as physicians’ orders and instructions
• Skilled in establishing patient records by preparing folders and assigning patient numbers and identification information
• Focused on accurately documenting patient care services and arranging discharges and admissions
• Highly skilled in coordinating efforts to procure supplies from material management departments in a time efficient manner
• Proven record of keeping updated records of telephone numbers, call systems and staff assignments
• Competent at conserving unit resources by using equipment and supplies by ensuring that they are used optimally