Hospital Unit Secretary Job Description
The work of a hospital unit secretary involves ensuring that the work of an entire hospital unit runs smoothly.
This position is mostly secretarial and requires one to interact with all members of the staff within a hospital.
There is a robust administrative aspect to a hospital unit secretary’s job, which involves ensuring that all administrative details of a unit are in check so that medical staff can efficiently concentrate on providing care to patients.
On a typical workday, they answer telephone calls, schedule appointments, maintain calendars, and perform patient admission duties.
Related: Hospital Unit Secretary Cover Letter
Hospital Unit Secretary Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage the reception area and greet patients and families as they arrive at the facility.
- Provide information regarding hospital services and procedures.
- Assist patients by walking them through the registration process.
- Take and record patients’ medical history and verify insurance information.
- Assist patients and families in filling out hospital forms and apply identification armbands on admitted patients.
- Answer telephone calls and provide information; relay messages, and transfer calls.
- Schedule appointments and handle calendars for doctors and staff within the hospital unit.
- Maintain communication between patients and medical staff.
- Compose and send faxes and emails and ensure that there are adequate supplies available.
- Handle patient record management and filing tasks.
- Schedule tests and procedures for patients and ensure that results are expedited especially for patients in need of prompt medical attention.
- Provide detailed information to patients and families regarding surgical and examination procedures.
- Educate patients and families about their conditions in a bid to help them cope better.
- Type doctors’ orders into a predefined hospital computer system and retrieve any patient or medical information requested.
- Provide research support to hospital staff.
- Ensure that the representing medical unit complies with the clinical quality compliance requirements of the hospital.
- Coordinate the efforts of hospital housekeeping staff to ensure a clean and well-maintained hospital environment.
Hospital Unit Secretary Job Eligibility Criteria
- A high school diploma at the very least
- Extremely organized and have a penchant for handling office work in a medical setting
- Ability to handle patient discharge activities and provide discharge information to patients to ensure a smooth transition.
- Able to handle administrative work in a medical environment