The history gap is the main dilemma faced by a stay at home moms returning to the workforce when they attempt to update their resume.
The question is how to lessen the impact of that gap in one’s chronological work history. The best solution is to choose a functional or skills-based resume format.
This format will highlight your job-relevant skills rather than your chronological work history.
A piece of useful advice in this regard is to highlight any volunteer work you have done.
How to Write a Stay at Home Mom Resume?
• Select a readable font style and size.
• Maintain uniformity throughout the document.
• Highlight your skills and core competencies using strong action words and adjectives.
• List your professional achievements and strengths in the form of bullet points.
• Start the document with a profile or summary statement that presents your professional assets in a nutshell.
See also: Stay at Home Mom Cover Letter
Below is a sample resume for stay at home mom to guide you in this regard.
Stay at Home Mom Resume Sample
450 Olive Garden, Houston, TX 45997
jessica . martin @ email . com
Skillful and industrious professional with hands-on experience in foodservice and customer service arena. Expert in maintaining the service area in a neat and clean condition while ensuring quick service of hygienic and fresh food. An outgoing team player who has a positive can-do attitude. Well versed in bill calculation and generation using POS. Bilingual: English/Spanish.
HIGHLIGHTS OF QUALIFICATIONS
• Profound ability to take, understand and follow instructions
• Excellent manual dexterity, sound ability to carry trays of food carefully and quickly
• Well versed in taking and placing food orders and serving the same
• Track record of demonstrating courteous behavior and answering guest queries about items on the menu
• Proven skills in kitchen assistance, vegetable cutting, and food prep assistance
• Familiar with and compliant to state-issued hygiene standards applicable to commercial kitchens
Career Break | 2016 – 2019
• Raised children
• Performed household chores
• Managed home budgets
Relish Restaurant, Houston, TX | 2014-2016
• Planned and served meals to all residents of the camp
• Assisted in feeding babies and infants at the camp
• Washed dishes and cleaned up after every meal
Great Taste Diner, Houston, TX | 2012-2014
• Assisted chefs, cooks and kitchen staff in preparation of the meal
• Washed utensils and cleaned kitchen equipment
• Sanitized all areas of the kitchen
• Took and followed orders of kitchen manager
High School Diploma
St. Mary’s Public School, HOUSTON, TX | 2009
• Current Driver’s license with a clean driving record
• Computer Skills: Proficient in MS office suite