Nursing Home Dietary Aide Job Description
Nursing homes or assisted living facilities usually obtain the services of dietary aides to help them manage the eating habits and nutritional needs of enrolled residents.
Typically, dietary aides assess each resident to determine their eating habits and nutrition needs and formulate diet plans accordingly. They take into account patients’ health, which is why they need to be knowledgeable about healthcare directives.
For instance, a dietary aide must know what types of food a patient with diabetes cannot eat so that he can eliminate the offending food item from his / her diet plan.
Often dietary aides engage in conversation with patients to gauge their food likes and dislikes so that they can plan their diets accordingly. In many instances, dietary aides assist in preparing and cooking food.
They ensure that food is prepared in a clean and hygienic manner and that the kitchen and appliances are sterilized before and after food is served.
It is imperative for dietary aides to possess great attention to detail and knowledge of food preparation techniques.
It is also important for them to be able to improvise meals in a bid to keep them from tasting mundane.
Recommended: Dietary Aide Resume
Dietary Aide Duties for Nursing Home
- Assess each resident’s medical condition and make mental notes of the type of food they can and cannot ingest
- Interview residents to determine their food likes and dislike and gauge if they are allergic to any food items
- Formulate diet plans for each individual patient according to his / or medical conditions and food preferences
- Discuss diet plans with a dietary manager and incorporate feedback into existing diet programs
- Provide food preparation and cooking instructions to cooks and kitchen staff
- Assist kitchen staff in preparing food items and cooking them according to pre-developed recipes
- Prepare snack items for residents with diseases such as diabetes or hypertension
- Oversee the cleanliness of kitchen counters, utensils, and dishware to ensure conformation with cleanliness standards
- Observe residents’ food intake and record information regarding food allergies
- Assist in placing food items on food trucks so that it can be delivered to residents
- Serve specially prepared food items to residents and assist them in partaking food
- Engage residents in conversation to understand changing food preferences and ensure that they are incorporated into the menu
- Transport food from the kitchen to dining areas by ensuring proper temperature and in a time-efficient manner