Sales associates usually work in a retail environment where customer service is the top of their list of activities. They are provided with daily and periodic sales goals which they should accomplish in order to be eligible for promotions and recommendations. The retail world depends largely on its sales force which is why employers are very choosy when hiring sales associates.
As a customer enters a retail store, it is probable that the first person s/he meets is a sales associate. Sales associates greet customers and determine their individual purchasing needs. Once they know what a customer is looking for they are expected to assist customers by directing them to the right aisles or departments, explaining product features and eventually ringing up the purchase for them.
Sales associates inform customers of the different promotions that a store is offering and also solicit them to sign up for special programs like a rewards card. They give presentations to customers when needed and are expected to answer their questions. In the event of a return, sales associates are expected to determine the cause by engaging in dialogue with the customers and resolving their issues.
Since sales associates are expected to meet personal and the company’s goals concurrently, they should perform a lot of marketing tasks such as in-store promotions and assist the marketing department with designing and distributing marketing material. Most sales associates perform some additional tasks such as opening and closing the store and answering telephones. In addition, they also manage inventory of supplies and maintain liaison with vendors.
Skills and Abilities
There are a number of skills that a sales associate is expected to possess such as the ability to engage customers in conversation, suggestive selling skills and some creative acumen. This is because they need to be able to determine customers’ individual needs and sell to them in accordance to those needs.
Job Description and Duties for Sales Associate Resume
• Proactively acknowledged, greeted and assisted customers in the store
• Offered customers with exemplary and timely service
• Provided accurate product information
• Served multiple customers, discovered their needs, and made recommendations to generate sales
• Recommended alternative purchase choices
• Enhanced product knowledge utilizing limited resources
• Merchandised, stocked and replenished the selling floor constantly
• Maintained working knowledge of store’s policies and procedures
• Organized and cleaned store during downtime
• Handled cash, checks, and credit card transactions
• Managed the register in accordance with POS guidelines
• Addressed loss prevention issues immediately
• Communicate to coworkers and supervisors through standard telephone and wireless audio systems
• Merchandised, restocked and maintained sales floor
• Built and maintained internal and external customer satisfaction
• Met and exceeded sales goals
• Upheld brand and operational standards
• Processed shipments and ensured all merchandise is represented on the floor
• Assisted supervisors to identify and resolve issues in the store