Courtesy desks are found in many organizations and facilities, where customer influx is a common thing.
A courtesy desk associate is typically a front desk employee, who is required to greet customers, and provide them with the required information, or help them with their queries.
Typically, a high school diploma or a GED equivalent is sufficient to work as a courtesy desk associate. If you have a degree in a business discipline, you may be considered an excellent choice to hire. Prior experience in a front desk capacity will also go a long way in helping you gain the job.
To successfully work as a courtesy desk associate, one has to possess exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, as one is in constant contact with people from different backgrounds.
Staying organized, and the ability to elicit the right information is also essential in this work. Excellent customer service skills are a necessity when working in this position, as one needs to make sure that customers are satisfied enough so that they return for additional business.
Some courtesy desk associates are also required to handle the company’s PABX system, to provide customer service support to callers. Additionally, you may also be expected to manage customer records, and ensure that they are correctly updated.
If you want to apply for a courtesy desk associate position, it is best if you go through the following list of duties particular to this position:
Courtesy Desk Associate Duties & Responsibilities
• Greet customers as they arrive at the entrance of the office or organization, and politely inquire into their business.
• Provide customers with information on services that the organization provides, and how to make the best of them.
• Engage customers or visitors in conversation to determine the right person to refer them to, and give directions to other points of contact.
• Respond to calls by providing company and service information, and transfer calls to the right recipients.
• Take messages on the telephone, and in person, and ensure that they are timely relayed to the right people.
• Respond to customers’ emails, and general inquiries received over email, according to the company’s policies.
• Receive mail, sort it according to departments, and ensure that it is delivered in a timely fashion.
• Assist in the setup of new accounts and records, ensuring that they are appropriately updated.
• Create and submit trouble tickets for services, and ensure that they are followed up on.
• Ascertain the overall cleaning and maintenance of the front desk and waiting areas.