A college or university bursar is responsible for managing cashiering and student financial services.
When applying for an entry-level bursar position, you must ensure that your resume holds information about your suitability for this job.
Even if you haven’t worked as a bursar before, you can apply for the job, provided that you know what the work entails.
Once you know that it requires some amount of financial management and communication skills, you will be able to write a resume to impress.
In your resume for a bursar position, focus on your qualifications and skills for the job. Do not think about past experience – it is not always necessary.
Here is a resume sample for a college/university bursar with no experience:
College / University Bursar Resume No Experience
8 Wheel Street, New York City, NY58715
Highly enthusiastic individual, with excellent accounting, finance, and communication skills, seeking employment as a Bursar at ABC College. . Bringing an unmatched ability to oversee the overall operations of student financial services, billings, and receivables, and cashiering functions. Excellent talents in keeping books of tuition fees organized, and preparing expense reports on a periodic basis.
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
New York State University, New York City, NY – 2021
• Accounting Information Systems
• Principles of Accounting
• Financial Accounting
• Cost Accounting
• Auditing Theory and Practice
• Management and Organization Theory
• Business Law
• Ethics and Professionalism in Accounting
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Cash Management
• AR / AP Handling
• Financial Books Organization
• Expense Reports Preparation
• Cost Analysis
• Financial Procedures Design
• Fee Administration
• Loan Funds Oversight
New York State University, New York City, NY
8/2021 – 10/2021
• Handled student financial services and billing functions
• Oversaw daily cash management activities
• Kept cash book organized with tuition fee information and receipts
• Conducted cost and productivity analysis, and create reports
• Reviewed employment contracts, and service terms
• Updated financial procedures information
• Followed up with students to ensure timely fee payments
• Communicated tuition payment and refund policies
• Maintained communications with parents and students
• Created effective liaison with scholarship funding organizations
• Maintained collection systems for past-due accounts
• Negotiated adjustments and payment arrangements
• PeachTree Financial Software
• MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Internet and Email
• Led 2 under 12 rugby teams by training them 4 times a week, for 3 years
• Volunteered services at Aetna Hospice, for 2 years