Pickers or packers have quite a lot of physical work to perform every day. This work is very demanding and can span over multiple shifts. However, there is so much that one learns about warehouse operations when working as a picker.
Order picking and packing are not the only things that Amazon pickers do. They also handle stock arrangements to ensure that there is enough stock for shipment purposes and make sure that orders are ready for transportation.
Besides that, they mark and label product containers and measure and count them to ensure the appropriate quantity.
Quality control is another task that pickers/packers perform. They check each product to ensure that its quality is up to the mark and that any damaged products are isolated and reported.
To understand the job of a picker/packer, let us have a look at a list of duties that a person working at this position performs at Amazon.
See also: Amazon Sorter Resume
Amazon Picker Packer Job Description and Duties
• Take picking orders from supervisors and attempt to find products in Amazon warehouses
• Ensure that the picked product conforms to the order sheet provided
• Check the product to ensure that it is in proper working condition and is not damaged
• Isolate damaged items to a predefined marked area and report it to supervisors
• Count the specified quantity several times before taking it to the packing pallet
• Transport items to packing pallet and pack them in specified containers
• Ensure that containers are marked properly and labeled appropriately
• Measure and weigh the packed container and put information on the packing
• Manually record the package information, then enter it into the database along with its status
• Seal packed containers by using glue, nails and other fasteners
• Transport packed materials to the shipment pallet using hand equipment or forklifts
• Make sure that product containers are loaded onto trucks using the best safety products
• Hand over necessary packaging documents to the delivery drivers at the time of loading
• Shift and move products inside the delivery vehicle so that they are stacked properly
• Enter picking, packing and loading information into the predefined Amazon database
• Handle voice-directed picking processes by following set protocols
• Maintain daily production and packing records
• Report any errors in product selection and quantity to the supervisor immediately