Due to the lack of practical experience, nursing students rely much on their skills to work successfully in a clinical or hospital setting.
Student nurses are hired for one purpose – to prepare them for a more intense nursing position in which they will be able to promote and restore the health of patients in various healthcare settings.
Student nurses often accompany registered nurses and nurse managers working in real-time hospital situations.
This is how they learn the ropes and brush up skills that they have attained during their studies or certification.
When a resume for a student nurse position is read, the employer tries to find the skills section primarily.
Since hands-on experience is not something that nursing students have the benefit of, they need to write their skills compellingly.
These skills must give employers the feel of capability and willingness to apply learned concepts in real-time settings.
Skills define who we are in a professional role, so it is essential to pay much attention to this area on your resume.
Nurses must be able to exercise critical thinking abilities as they are often put in situations that require clinical judgment.
They must also possess physical capabilities that will eventually help them in handling physical assessments of patients.
Additionally, they should be emotionally stable as they often need to handle stressful situations and receive corrective feedback calmly.
See also: Nursing Student Resume Objective
Sample Skills for Nursing Student Resume
• Special talent for accurately and systematically collecting information to determine health related needs of patients
• In-depth knowledge of assessing patient condition and appropriately raising the alarm in case of dire clinical changes
• Functional ability to assist patients during rehabilitation procedures to reintegrate them into their former lives
• Able to remember clinical and medical information derived from past experiences and using it as precedence when dealing with new clinical and emergencies
• Eager to exercise critical thinking during medical emergencies to ensure life-saving methods are appropriately carried out
• In-depth knowledge of auscultating faint body sounds and responding to alarming situations by performing CPR and First Aid.
• Proficient in computing medication dosage along with administering medication appropriately by following set medication plan
• Adept at educating patients and families regarding medical emergencies and situations to help them understand and deal with adverse medical situations
• Demonstrated ability to exercise patience and remain calm during times of critical need targeted at handling adverse situations with tact and sensitivity