Avoid the following mistakes when writing a resume for medical assistant position.
• Typos and grammatical errors: Of course, people know this. But then how come they make these mistakes over and over again?
• Overly casual tone: Come on! You are writing to a prospective employer, not to your friend!
• Overuse of jargon and clichés: Refrain!
• A resume that is too long: You don’t need to write your life saga!
• Pretty borders and backgrounds: Err! Why would you want to do that?
• Using cringe-worthy quotes: No-one likes a self-proclaimed philosopher!
• Unprofessional email address: What exactly were you thinking when you registered donna_sweatheart1234 @ myemail . com as your email address?
• Unconventional font: Not done because most unconventional ones have low readability!
The don’ts are out of the way. Let us now look at a sample resume for medical assistant that is based on the dos!
45 Belhaven Street ● Greenville, MS 51937 ● (000) 414-7487 ● sarah.bliss @ email . com
♦♦♦ MEDICAL ASSISTANT ♦♦♦
Committed to maintain a safe and healthy work environment by establishing and following standards.
SUMMARY: Exceptionally well-trained Medical Assistant with a 5+ years’ proven track record of handling patient care work and administrative duties side by side. Well-versed in managing appointments according to doctors’ schedules, owing to exceptional ability to juggle work duties. A passionate individual who prepares patients for medical examinations and counsels them by transmitting physicians’ orders and questions regarding medical examinations and surgeries. Documented success in preparing and administering medication by following doctors’ orders and facility rules strictly.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
|• Clinical Procedures||• Medicine Administering||• Patient Education|
|• Medical Coding||• Data Entry||• Medical Records Management|
|• Scheduling||• Patient Preparation||• Equipment Use|
|• Radiography||• Patient Observation||• Medical Terminology|
City Medical Center, Greenville, MS (3/2013 to Present)
• Write a patients’ handbook containing information regarding specific medical procedures and examinations that the facility provides
• Revamp the existing medical records system by converting it into an electronic form
• Greet patients as they arrive at the facility and provide them with information that they are looking for
• Respond to queries regarding medical examinations and procedures
• Assist patients in registering with the facility by helping out in filling forms
• Take and record insurance information from patients and ensure that all patient data is correctly entered into the facility database
• Schedule appointments over the telephone and in person and provide reminders to patients about their appointments
Some Clinic, Greenville, MS (3/2011 to 3/2013)
• Decreased administrative supplies cost by 60% by suggesting bulk procurement from local suppliers
• Increased patient appointment scheduling efficiency by 50% by introducing (and self-training) a dedicated medical practice scheduling system
• Assisted physicians with treatments and patient examination activities
• Ascertained that treatment and examination rooms are properly prepared prior to patients’ arrival
• Interviewed patients to determine their medical histories and recorded vitals such as blood pressure, pulse and temperature
• Educated patients on different procedures and outcomes and ensured that they understand them prior to the procedure
Elim Care, Greenville, MS (5/2010 to 3/2011)
Medical Assisting Extern
• Welcomed patients and responded to their inquiries
• Assisted in filling out admission and insurance forms
• Provided information regarding available medical facilities
• Scheduled appointments and contacted patients for appointment reminders
• Created and maintained liaison with suppliers to procure medical supplies and equipment
• Performed data entry work such as punching in patient information in the facility database
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
KEISER UNIVERSITY, Greenville, MS – 2010
AS, Medical Assisting
Coursework: Anatomy and Physiology ~ Laboratory Procedures ~ Medical Office Management
Mississippi State Certified Medical Assistant
Current BLS (Basic Life Support) Certification