A conveyor operator may work in a manufacturing environment or on airports depending on his or her individual work setting. The basic job of a person working at this position is to make sure that the conveyor belt which is used to move objects from one place to another is working properly and is not an accident hazard.
It is also the job of a conveyor operator to ensure that objects are loaded on and off the conveyor belt following safety precautions. To work successfully at this position, one needs to understand the mechanics of a working conveyor belt and be trained in operating it following set safety rules. At airports, conveyor operators often help passengers locate their luggage by using perceptual skills to quickly and accurately compare token numbers.
Not always an easy job, the work of a conveyor operator is quite challenging; on the face of it, it may seem simple enough but in actuality it requires precision and physical strength to handle it. You will understand what we mean by this once you skim through the list of duties that a conveyor operator is required to perform.
Conveyor Operator Job Description Sample
• Handle conveyor belt control manipulation duties
• Initiate operations by handling levers and valves in order to start pumps
• Adjust equipment positions and handle speed and material flow
• Make observations on conveyor belt operations in order to monitor function
• Clear jams when required by stopping and restarting machinery
• Observe conveyor belt to determine damaged goods and remove and report them to authorities
• Load and unload materials on conveyor belts
• Inspect machinery in order to ward of potential loss of materials or items
• Perform preventative maintenance on conveyor belts and auxiliary parts to ensure proper working order
• Clean and maintain equipment and tools used in maintaining conveyor belts
• Diagnose problems with conveyor belts and perform measures to troubleshoot issues
• Replace expired parts as part of the repair process
• Weigh materials that need to be put on the conveyor belt in order to make sure that it conforms to set standards
• Ensure that all corresponding item information is affixed to items before loading them onto the conveyor belt
• Ensure that sections of conveyor frames are securely attached at temporary working areas
• Prepare and maintain documentation of each cycle along with repair reports
• Operate consoles designed to control automatic pallets
• Inform supervisors of any malfunctions or repairs that need to be managed on an immediate basis
Last updated on