Spa attendants are hired by spas and salons where clients go to have their massages, facials and other therapeutic treatments done. They are required to provide level one services to clients by greeting them, arranging for them to be taken to cordoned-off areas for their therapies and assisting in scheduling services. The work of a spa attendant is challenging in the sense that there are many different things that they need to do – the ability to multitask is imperative in this position.
Eligibility criteria to work as a spa attendant includes a high school diploma or a GED – some spa owners insist on hiring people with a college degree as well. Basic requirements to work as a spa attendant include exceptional customer service skills, professional demeanor and the ability to work on one’s feet for long periods of time.
Preparing treatment rooms, assisting with massages and therapeutic treatments, ensuring availability and procurement of spa supplies and assisting with spa equipment maintenance. Since they work varied shifts, it is important for them to have a flexible schedule and work for long hours as well. Another important aspect of a spa attendant’s job is to handle cleaning duties in a spa. Some main duties of a spa attendant are charted out in the list below:
• Greet clients, inquire into their appointment status and relay information to associated spa therapist
• Prepare treatment rooms by ensuring that all supplies and equipment are available and laid out according to procedure
• Oversee the cleanliness and sanitization of the premises and ensure that any wasted material is properly disposed of
• Deal with membership inquiries, push membership sales and take and administer bookings
• Assist front desk representatives in handling telephones during busy hours and providing information over the telephone and in person
• Provide spa tours to new or prospective clients and make them aware of the services and facilities offered
• Replenish supplies required for massages, facials and manicures on a regular basis
• Coordinate efforts to ensure timely and accurate delivery of supplies and equipment
• Distribute linen such as fresh sheets and towels in treatment rooms and assist in laundry duties such as washing and drying towels and aprons
• Sanitize bathrooms, grooming rooms and wet areas as per the standards set by the spa management
• Instruct clients on where they can change their clothes and assign lockers to them
• Assume responsibility of opening and closing the spa on designated times
• Process payments for services rendered and ensure that bookkeeping activities are performed to manage cash and credit card transactions