Laborers generally work in the construction arena where they are expected to perform a number of physical tasks. This position comes under semi-skilled workers category. They need to learn the relevant skills to perform the job.
A laborer may be expected to clean and maintain a work site along with ensuring that any materials or tools are delivered to the technicians. They are also expected to set up ladders and machinery as instructed.
There is really no minimum educational requirements to get a laborer position but an employer prefers experienced laborers so that not much time is spent in teaching them the trade. At times, a laborer can be expected operate a forklift which is why it is important for a laborer to know how to operate one and also obtain a license for it.
Establishing the fact that this is skilled work, let us have a look at some of the skills an employer will expect a laborer to posses when hiring him. These bullet points will be very useful while building a Laborer Resume.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a construction environment
• Extremely proficient in using a range of hand and power tools
• Physically dexterous to perform repetitive tasks and lift heavy objects
• Proven ability to understand and execute written instructions
• Competent at performing preventative maintenance on equipment and power tools
• Demonstrated positive attitude and teamwork abilities
• Excellent attention to detail
• Able to work efficiently with and without supervision
• Well versed in maintenance, cleaning and debris removal tasks
• Demonstrated ability to work in extreme weather conditions
• Some experience operating forklifts and pallet jacks
• Knowledge of handling hazardous materials and industrial waste
• Able to perform duties effectively in confined spaces
• A self-motivated problem solver who works collaboratively with all levels of employees
• Special talent for controlling and directing traffic in the assigned area
• Focused on complying with all safety regulations and adhering to OSHA safety guidelines
• Track record of creating a safe work environment for staff and customers
• Committed to work dedicatedly in challenging situations
• Current NY driver’s license and clean driving record
• Bilingual: English and Spanish