A hostess performs the first-tier job; this means that any customer coming into a restaurant or hotel will be greeted by a hostess initially.
Possessing the role of the first contact, a hostess position is crucial as a customer will deem the rest of the hospitality setting as good or bad as initially portrayed.
Having established that a hostess’s work is pivotal to the success of any restaurant, they must understand the importance of proper etiquette and service standards along with the ability to take direction and work in a team environment.
Hostesses need to be able to work in stressful situations and must possess exceptional organizational and problem-solving skills.
If you are applying for a hostess job, then you will need to ensure that you correctly fit the job description of a hostess to be able to do justice to the position.
A carefully written experience section of a hostess resume will maximize the chances of a hostess interview.
Sample Job Duties for Hostess Resume
• Greet guests and patrons personally as they enter the establishment.
• Receive and record dining reservations on the telephone.
• Ensure the proper set up of dining and service areas.
• Offer appropriate seats using a genuine and personable demeanor.
• Politely request guests to wait in the waiting area if no table is available.
• Ensure neatness and cleanliness of stations.
• Present menus, make recommendations and take orders.
• Ensure the quantity of food is sufficient to cater to the number of guests.
• Relay orders to the kitchen and ensures all orders are filled in a timely and accurate fashion.
• Maintain clean and organized tables and work areas.
• Assist room service staff when needed.
• Manage event-related work including setting up tables and maintaining both the exterior and interior of the restaurant.
• Resolve guests’ concerns in a prompt manner.
• Prepare food and beverages when needed.
• Liaise with staff and customers to ensure great service.
• Order table linens, napkins, and other dining room supplies.
While this job description list states the essential job duties of a hostess, it is, by no means, a complete list of duties as this position requires an individual to work in a manner that the employer describes.
In that case, you may modify these phrases as per the employer’s requirements.