911 dispatchers spend their entire day in taking emergency calls and assisting callers to cope with stressful situations. Therefore, when building a resume for the 911 dispatcher position, it is important to highlight your communication skills as well as the ability to handle difficult situations tactfully.
911 dispatcher resumes should be based on skills and accomplishments because recruiters need to know how well you handled distressed callers and if you did anything significant to change callers’ immediate circumstances. If you can depict this skill in your resume, no one can stop you from standing out from the candidate pool.
Take a look at the following resume samples for a 911 dispatcher position before you start writing your resume.
Related: Cover Letter for 911 Dispatcher
911 Dispatcher Resume Example #1
67 N Bremen Street, Milwaukee, WI 92380
ellajayden @ email . com
A highly energetic Dispatcher with 11+ years of extensive experience in providing emergency response and dispatching services. Track record of gauging the nature of the emergency and taking appropriate actions to handle sensitive situations effectively. Effectively multitasks and prioritizes work in a highly stressed environment.
• Functional knowledge of public safety principles and protocols aimed at providing accurate information to callers.
• Able to determine the sensitivity and accuracy of emergency and dispatch the call appropriately.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with a diverse populace in the crisis.
• Well-versed in utilizing technology to record, assess, and reiterate caller information to find the cause of a crime.
• Hoax detection • Safety practices
• Crises intervention • Technology savvy
• Emergency response • Stress management
• Call screening • Computer-aided dispatch
• Incident logging • Security surveillance
• High alertness • Tone identification
• Attained ‘Local Life Saver Award’ for quickly dispatching EMS personnel to a critically injured worker.
• Saved a caller from domestic assault by guiding her through ways to escape her perpetrator until help arrived.
• Provided a walkthrough to a distressed caller who locked herself in her room, resulting in her safety.
• Introduced and implemented a call screening system that traced calls in 50% less the time it took the system already in place.
911 Dispatcher | 11/2013 – Present
City of Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI
• Answer 50+ telephone calls per day from distressed callers and listen to their pleas carefully
• Ask appropriate questions to gauge callers’ situation and level of distress
• Listen animatedly to determine the nature of calls – genuine vs hoax
• Listen for background noises to understand where the call may be made from
• Understand the intensity of the call and use the dispatch system simultaneously to inform concerned authorities
Dispatcher | 5/2010 – 11/2013
Cowlitz County, Kelso, WA
• Asked callers for name and address while searching for the address on the system
• Spoke to perpetrators (when possible) and attempted to calm them down by counseling them
• Called authorities such as fire brigade, police or ambulance and provide them with information on emergency
• Created and submitted reports regarding each call received during shift
911 Dispatcher Trainee | 1/2009 – 5/2010
City of Mason, Mason, NH
• Took telephone calls and listened intently for the nature of distress
• Assisted callers through stressful situations by providing them with information on how to handle their situation
• Transferred calls intense to more experienced dispatchers
• Took orders from dispatchers to contact emergency services following protocols
• Input data concerning emergency and non-emergency situations
• Monitor frequencies to gauge the field unit’s status
CPR and First Aid | American Red Cross
Law Enforcement Automated Data System (LEADS)
EPD and EMD
Associate of Science in Criminology
City Technical College, Mason, NH – 2008
• Computer-Aided Dispatch Systems
• Paging systems
• Consoles and tone boards
• Phase One/Two wireless process
Entry Level 911 Dispatcher Resume With No Experience
77 20th Street, Rockford, IL 32521
To obtain a position as a 911 Dispatcher at Boone County. Offers knowledge of telephone emergency service provision in a highly organized manner to contribute significantly.
HIGHLIGHTS OF QUALIFICATIONS
• Well-versed in determining the nature and the location of emergency
• Highly skilled in determining priorities and dispatching appropriate emergency unit
• Knowledge of operating a variety of communication equipment
• Adept at dispatch covering several locations simultaneously
Diploma in Emergency Dispatching
Durham College, Rockford, IL
• Lifestyle Management
• Call Centre Strategies
• Interpersonal & Group Dynamics
• Computer/Keyboarding Skills
• Crisis Intervention
• Fire Service Communications
• Anatomy & Physiology
• 911 & Police Communications
• Field Placement
• Resilience And Self Care
Public Safety Dispatcher Intern
The University of Rockford, Rockford, IL
Apr 2020 – Aug 2020
• Take emergency telephone calls
• Listened to caller carefully
• Dispatch calls to appropriate personnel
• Determine the nature and location of the phone call
• Monitor and coordinate emergency dispatch activity
• Maintain security and confidentiality of all files and equipment
• Create and maintain logs
• Excellent listening skills
• Demonstrated ability to provide effective counseling over the phone
• Communication: Able to speak clearly in a calm yet confident voice
• Able to think critically in stressful situations