A 911 dispatcher is an individual who works on the emergency 911 line.
Their responsibilities include taking phone calls and providing assistance to people in distress.
No matter what is the nature of an emergency, a 911 dispatcher needs to stay calm to solicit as much information as possible from the caller.
911 dispatchers need to possess a hoard of skills and qualifications including the ability to remain calm in difficult situations while staying organized at all times.
Since this job is not great for the nerves as a dispatcher normally feels the responsibility for the caller’s problem and needs to act in a positive manner at all times.
An applicant can put the following skills and qualifications list on their 911 dispatcher resume when applying for a job.
Sample Qualifications and Hard Skills for 911 Dispatcher Resume
- Highly skilled in judging the nature of the call and soliciting location information.
- Well versed in determining priorities between calls.
- Demonstrated ability to understand which emergency is imminent and to dispatch the appropriate unit.
- Adept at operating an array of communication equipment effectively.
- Excellent listening and oral comprehension skills to respond to callers during difficult and stressful situations.
- Special talent for counseling callers to keep them relax and make them stay online.
- Able to obtain information from hostile and emotional callers.
- Proven ability to think rationally under stress, make quick decisions, and take appropriate actions.
- Excellent skills in managing many tasks simultaneously with a particular focus on quality.
- Capable of dealing with call logs for verification and documentation purposes.
- Track record of conveying precise information and detailed instructions to responders.
- Known for remaining calm under extreme stress and maintain focus on major tasks under pressure.
- Authoritative command on keeping control of emergency situations.
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret detailed procedures and maps.
- Quickly determining the nature and type of emergency and respond rapidly and appropriately.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Known for maintaining the confidentiality of sensitive information and materials.
- Knowledge of city policies, as well as state and federal laws and regulations.
- Well versed with law enforcement and public safety agency terminology.
- In-depth knowledge of police radio, dispatch, and communication protocols, as well as procedures, hardware, and software.
- Knowledge of geography, roads, and landmarks of city and surrounding areas.
- Expert in operating a personal computer utilizing standard and specialized computer applications.
- Ability to enter information with speed and accuracy.
Soft Skills for 911 Dispatcher Resume
- Speaking clearly and concisely
- Relaying details accurately
- Working well under pressure
- Communicating verbal and written instructions
Related: 911 Dispatcher Cover Letter Sample