Here is a set of orthodontic assistant interview questions and answers that you may expect during the interview:
20 Common Orthodontic Assistant Interview Questions and Answers
1. Tell me a little bit about yourself.
I am a passionate and driven orthodontic assistant with over 5 years of experience in this role. I am presently in the market, looking for a solid position, where I can apply my chairside skills in the best possible manner.
2. Why do you consider yourself a good fit for an orthodontic assistant position?
I have worked in this position for 5 years. During this time, I have polished my skills in handling both the administrative and the procedural end of working at an orthodontic facility. I believe that working in both these capacities in a large orthodontic concern has prepared me well.
3. What is the primary job of an orthodontic assistant?
An orthodontic assistant is responsible for assisting orthodontists in determining what patients’ dental needs are. They perform preliminary oral examinations, take and process x-rays and ensure that patients’ files are complete with all relevant information.
4. What specific duties have you performed in the role of an orthodontic assistant?
As an orthodontic assistant, my main work has been to maintain accurate patient records, prepare instruments and equipment, and ensure consistent patient care. Specifically, my work includes taking and developing x-rays, creating molds for mouth guards, and dentures, and educating patients on proper oral hygiene practices.
5. What skills do you possess which make you an excellent individual to work in this position?
I am a qualified orthodontic assistant, with an associate’s degree in dental assistance. I am also certified by DANB. My skills include knowledge of assisting orthodontists in treating malposition of jaws, and teeth, along with a great insight into operating and maintaining x-ray machines. I am also competent in sterilizing tools, and equipment, and fitting and adjusting braces and dentures.
6. Have you ever been in a situation where you found this job challenging?
I was once assisting a pediatric orthodontic and we have to perform a complex procedure on a five-year-old child. During the examination, we discovered that he had 12 teeth too many! A rare occurrence, this gave us a bit of a shock, and straightening his teeth was an immense challenge. One that we overcame.
7.. How important is sterilization in dental assisting work?
Extremely so. Everything that touches a patient’s body has to be thoroughly sterilized to ward off diseases. I even sterilize the procedure chairs!
8. What do you like most about this work?
I love the fact that every day is a new one, with newer challenges. I never get bored because of this.
9. What do you dislike about this work?
I enjoy my work thoroughly, so I cannot say that I dislike anything about it at all.
10. What motivates you the most?
Learning new things motivates me immensely, making me feel that I want to move forward.
11. What demotivates you the most?
When I am in a situation where learning stops, I get demotivated.
12. What is your greatest strength?
My greatest strength is that I am a multitasker, and can perform many processes at the same time, without compromising on quality.
13. What is your greatest weakness?
Sometimes I feel that I am too sensitive, as I feel my patients’ pain as much as they do.
14. Describe your perfect job environment.
A perfect job environment for me would be one where my skills are developed properly.
15. How do you handle adversity at the workplace?
I have been fortunate enough to have worked in workplaces that have not been conducive to adversity. But if I have to handle it, I will be very professional and patient.
16. Why do you want to work for us particularly?
I want to work for this facility specifically, as it provides great opportunities for growth and development.
17. Where did you hear about this vacancy?
This job vacancy was posted on your facility’s LinkedIn page.
18. If we decide to hire you, when can you join us?
I can join within 14 days of receiving my job offer letter from you.
19. Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?
I would eventually like to train and work as an orthodontist.
20. Do you have any questions for me?
I am intrigued about the type of equipment that you use to handle orthodontic treatments.