A smart seller never lets go a chance of marketing. Same should be the case with job seekers. A resume for guidance counselor position is your self-marketing tool so make sure you utilize it fully to your benefit.
What distinguishes between a generic guidance counselor resume and an extraordinary guidance counselor resume? This is a million dollar question since knowing the answer to this can play a vital role in earning you a job interview.
Here are some answers:
• Key terms: Effective resumes utilize field specific key terms and are thus more optimized
• Accomplishments: Any resume is incomplete without accomplishments
• Profile/ summary: Make sure you include a well written profile/ performance summary
• Competency focused: Focus on your skills rather than stating your experience and duties carried out in similar roles
Refer to the example below to get a better idea.
590 Vendetta Sq | Bradenton, FL 64931 | 999.111.2222 | gina @ email . com
Detail-oriented professional with a solid track record of providing, implementing, and coordinating all -aspects of counseling and guidance programs. Well-versed in providing students with the opportunity, by means of developmental activities, to make positive and healthy decisions in their lives. Adept at developing individualized guidance plans based on student assessment and evaluation. Proven ability to work productively with students, staff, and community resources. Bilingual: English and Spanish. S-7 Certified.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
|● Data Collection||● Data Analysis||● Needs Evaluation|
|● Preventive Counseling||● Therapy Selection||● Test Development|
|● Parental Communication||● Community Liaison||● Progress Reporting|
|● Record-keeping||● Behavior Assessments||● Crisis Management|
• Initiated vocational counseling programs for undergraduates – pioneered in establishing the first vocational guidance cell at the campus
• Set up data collection procedures to develop standardized tests and trained 4 counselors in conducting the same
• Reduced dropout rates in the first semester of BS in various disciplines by 20% through effective group counseling sessions of the freshmen
• Consulted district staff and made referrals to community agencies on order to facilitate the students in their indicated areas of need
Guidance Counselor | University of Florida, Bradenton, FL | 2011 – Present
• Devise counseling and guidance programs for students as per their identified needs
• Facilitate the students in vocational choice by conveying accurate and timely vocational information
Junior counselor | District School of manatee, Bradenton, FL | 2008 – 2011
• Researched and established the needs and issues of diverse population students in the school and devised a 3 phase plan to address the same as instructed by the senior counselor
• Maintained confidential record of all counseling sessions conducted in the guidance center
EDUCATION & LICENSURE
PIAGET’S INSTITUTE OF MIND SCIENCES, Bradenton, FL, 2008
M.S., Applied Psychology
Majors: School Counseling
Florida Certificate with School Counselor (NT) Endorsement
Florida School Guidance Counselor License
• Student data and scheduling software
• MS Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint