A General Clerk performs different clerical duties, such as sorting and filing mail, cards, invoices, receipts or other records.
They are responsible for:
- Collecting information for particular report formats
- Maintaining files
- Making and checking calculations
- Posting data into the computer system
- Compiling statistical data
- Preparing and sorting correspondence
- Completing forms and reviewing for accurateness
- Answering phone calls
- Responding to customer queries
In order to become eligible for this position, you need a high school diploma, GED or equivalent education.
Average computer skills and some relevant experience will be a plus.
How to Write a Great Resume for General Clerk Position?
When writing your general clerk resume, focus on three critical components; relevance, self-promotion, and visual attraction.
The information in your resume should be presented in a way that best emphasizes your skills and abilities.
Use the following resume sample to get ideas.
General Clerk Resume Example
68 9th Avenue, Edinburgh, IN 65221
Contact #, Email Address
Over six years’ progressively responsible administrative experience. Highly skilled in preparing and managing office correspondence, reports and documents, and operating office equipment. Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Extremely proficient in Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Proven customer service acumen
- Typing Speed – 50 words/min
- Bilingual – English and Spanish
Strategic Resources, Inc. – Edinburgh, IN
Dec 2014 – Present
- Perform different clerical tasks to support the office
- Answer telephone and email, and take messages and forward calls to employees
- Sort correspondence and logs or place the time stamp on incoming and outgoing mail for tracking
- Validate data by direct matching with the source material
- Organize and arrange items in a subject or chronological order
- Perform typing and data entry tasks
Arthur J. Gallagher & Co – Houston, TX
Mar 2011 – Dec 2014
- Implemented and maintained office systems
- Maintained filing and correspondence systems
- Maintained databases
- Communicated and answered inquiries and provided information
- Answered phone and forward calls
- Maintained workers’ and correspondence confidentiality
[Mention non-relevant experiences here – one line per experience in a bullet form and past tense]
Houston High School – Houston, TX | 2005