Cleaning workers or cleaners are responsible for maintaining and cleaning public and private areas of the premises such as hallways, lobbies, restrooms, stairwells, and elevators to meet established sanitation and quality standards.
They also clean washrooms, dust furnishings, and pictures, vacuum, sweep and mop floors, empty carts of dirty linen and dispose of garbage, clean spots, buff fixtures, and clean ashtrays.
Regardless of where cleaners work, they perform more or less the same kind of responsibilities. But to work as a cleaner, one must know about using a variety of cleaning chemicals, products, and equipment. The need to mix cleaning liquids safely is high in this job, so some training is required.
What is a Cleaner Resume?
A cleaner resume is a short 1-page document that contains your cleaning skills and experiences. It is the most helpful tool for introducing yourself to a prospective employer and getting an interview.
You can use your resume to:
- Respond to an advertised job opening.
- Make a cold contact or blind inquiry into companies you have researched.
- Present in an interview.
- Strengthen a connection you recently have made with a future employer.
- Send along with your request for a letter of recommendation.
The following 2+ cleaner resume samples will give you a quick start in your job-searching process.
Cleaner Resume Sample 1
Experience: 12 Years
24 Some Street
Houston, TX 65221
Poised to bring perfection in cleaning through hard work and dedication
Proactive and motivated Cleaner with 12-plus years of hands-on experience in performing a variety of janitorial and custodial tasks to uphold the general appearance and cleanliness of the interior and exterior of the premise. Highly skilled in using manual and mechanical equipment for cleaning surfaces and vertical places. In-depth knowledge of different materials, detergents, mops, and cleaning machines.
• Understanding and executing written and verbal instructions.
• Cleaning and moping floors, stairs, carpets, bathrooms, and windows
• Knowledge of necessary safety procedures and standards of equipment and chemicals
• Good communication skills
• Demonstrated punctuality and reliability
• Excellent physical stamina to perform manual jobs efficiently
SAFFE Inc. – Houston, TX
April 2015 – Present
• Clean all types of surfaces, including furniture within and outside the building.
• Use powered cleaning equipment as and when needed.
• Vacuum carpets within offices.
• Empty trash bins on the premises.
• Clean toilets as per required standards and procedures.
• Saved overhead and supplies cost by $3000 per month by utilizing efficient cleaning methods.
• Trained 3 new cleaners.
• Improved the accuracy of cleanliness expenditure and budget.
Monroe Community College – Rochester, NY
Mar 2011 – Apr 2015
• Operated vacuum cleaners to clean carpets, mats, and rugs.
• Safely moved obstacles to perform cleaning duties.
• Disinfected and sanitized restrooms.
• Replenished supplies such as tissues, towels, and soaps.
• Dusted furniture, cleaned shelves, and emptied waste bins.
• Established good working relationships with supervisors and clients.
• Worked unsupervised and produced the best results.
City School, Houston, TX | 2000
Current Texas driver’s license
Cleaner Resume Sample 2
Experience: 3 Years
32 7th Street
Central Valley, NY 65999
Seeking a cleaner position with ABC Company where my extensive skills in housekeeping and sanitization can be fully utilized to maximize efficiency.
- 3+ years of extensive experience in cleaning and janitorial capacities
- Highly skilled in washing, waxing, buffing, and dusting
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently with other crew members
- Able to take direction from supervisors
- Enthusiastic about performing all physical aspects of the cleaning job duties
- Trash removal
- Carpet Cleaning
ABM Industries, Inc. – Central Valley, NY
Sep 2021 – Present
- Clean restrooms, cleaning toilets, urinals, and sinks.
- Mop floors, filled paper towels, toilet paper, and soap dispensers.
- Remove trash and empty waste containers
- Transport garbage from the premises to the selected area.
- Clean entry door glass from inside and outside.
- Keep the janitor’s cabinet clean, tidy, and organized.
- Damp wipe containers as needed.
SUNY Upstate Medical University – Syracuse, NY
Jan 2020 – Sep 201
- Mopped, cleaned, buffed, and waxed floors.
- Scrubbed and sanitized all areas of lavatories and facilities.
- Cleaned corridors, stairs, stairwells, walls, and partitions.
- Utilized hand-operated equipment, detergents, and other products for cleaning.
High School Diploma
City School, Central Valley, NY
- Excellent customer service skills
- Good attention to detail
- Proven ability to stand, stoop, bend, and stretch for extended periods
- Ability to climb ladders and scaffold
- Works individually as well as collaboratively
- Able to understand and follow verbal and written instructions
Cleaner Duties and Responsibilities
The following cleaner job description statements will be helpful for you in making the experience section of your resume.
- Clean reception areas, lobbies, offices, and rooms by sweeping and mopping.
- Ensure that all carpets are properly vacuumed, shampooed, and dried.
- Perform floor polishing and buffing tasks.
- Empty trash bins and make sure that garbage is appropriately divided into recyclable and non-recyclable items.
- Collect wasted paper and ensure that it is sent off for recycling purposes.
- Dust furniture using dusters and make sure that polish is applied when required.
- Clean windows from the inside and the outside using soap, water, and sponges.
- Operate steam cleaners and vacuum cleaners to clean carpets and drapes.
- Apply sealant to floors in the event of leakages or breaks.
- Wash down and disinfect bathrooms regularly.
- Handle minor leaks by fixing them using appropriate tools and report any problems that cannot be handled in-house.
- Ensure that any waste in parking areas or grounds is picked up and put away correctly.
- Trim shrubbery and grass to maintain the outlook of properties.
- Shovel snow and sprinkle salt to make sure that cars (and people) do not slip/skid.
- Spray insecticides to ward off insects or rodents from the inside and outside of the building.
- Replace bulbs and perform minor electrical work around the building.
Cleaner Skills and Qualifications for Resume
Cleaning skills can be as significant as professional experiences for hiring managers. In order to make a skills section of a cleaner resume, you will need to:
- List your relevant jobs and professional activities performed in the past.
- Think about the transferable skills that you have developed from experiences.
- Group these skills into the qualifications, strengths, or special skills sections of your resume.
- Arrange skills statements in order of importance as required by the employer.
The following are some sample hard skills and qualifications, as well as soft skills to add to a cleaner resume. Feel free to use some of these statements in the skills, strengths, abilities, or qualifications section of your resume.
- Highly skilled in cleaning and mopping the assigned premises.
- Ability to empty waste containers, remove garbage from the premises, and store it in designated areas.
- Thorough understanding of using different tools and chemicals used in the cleaning process.
- Able to use detergents and chemicals carefully.
- Competent at vacuuming rugs and carpeted areas.
- Hands-on experience in emptying and cleaning ashtray and screening sand urns.
- Proven record of sweeping and dusting floors and entrance areas.
- Ability to hand dust and wipe clean all furnishings, fixtures, panels, window sills, and horizontal surfaces.
- Demonstrated ability to wash, clean, and sterilize all water coolers.
- Comprehensive knowledge of damping mop spillage.
- Well-versed in dusting the external surfaces of lighting fixtures.
- Knowledge of wipe cleaning and polishing all metal hardware fixtures.
- Known to follow all cleaning schedules and policies established by the employer.
- Special talent for replenishing supplies and maintaining a supply inventory.
- Committed to maintaining a strong relationship with clients and coworkers.
Sample Soft Skills for Cleaner Resume
You can use the following soft skills statements in the “Additional Capabilities” section of your resume.
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Interpersonal skills
- Dedicated and careful
- High level of accuracy
- Attention to detail
- Able to work in a physically demanding environment
- Comfortable being around pets
- Adaptable to change
- Friendly and trustworthy disposition
- ‘Can-do’ attitude
- Current driver’s license
- Bilingual: English and Spanish