It can be difficult to bring your medical billing and coding resume to the top of the pile. That is because there is fierce competition out there and your resume needs to be exceptionally appealing in order to earn you an interview.
How to Write a Great Resume for Medical Billing and Coding Specialist Position?
Give your resume a professional look by using a simple and readable format and mentioning only the relevant details.
Start with a Summary or Objective Statement
Start your resume with a powerful medical billing and coding summary that truly summarizes your worth in a nutshell.
Add Your Core Competencies and Skills
In order to make it appealing, portray your skills and competencies in relation to the needs of the prospective employer.
Write Quantified Achievements
Medical Billing and Coding Achievements will set you apart from the rest.
Include a Cover Letter
Don’t forget to include a Medical Billing and Coding Specialist Cover Letter along with your resume and other job application documents.
Medical Billing and Coding Specialist Resume Sample 1
edgar.carlson @ email . com
MEDICAL BILLING AND CODING SPECIALIST
Detail-oriented, accurate medical billing and coding professional with 11+ years of hands-on experience in ICD-9, ICD-10, CPT, and HCPCS coding. Strong expertise in invoice punching, coding information entries, code translation, medical billing, insurance claim filing, and follow-up. Excellent team player and quick decision-maker who has a profound ability to solve problems with minimum escalations. Trilingual: English, French, and Spanish.
Notes Review | Medical Terminology
Signature Verification | Code Translation
Insurance Claim Processing | Invoice Forwarding
Charge Sheet Review | Rejected Claims Follow-up
- Reduced claim processing time by 2 minutes per case on average through the implementation of a computerized data-sharing mechanism.
- Synchronized all data into one software with the built-in option of inter-system code translation, reducing manual effort in data entry, coding, and translation by 50%.
- Attained the ‘Best Medical Coder’ award in 2021.
Billing and Coding Specialist
Medici Health, Page, AZ
July 2018 – Present
- Assign code to 50+ medical records per day by using ICD 10 and CPT 4 coding convention
- Collect information for medical records updating
- Translate codes into insurance companies’ preferred systems
- Verify signatures on medical records
- Prepare and forward insurance claim documents
- Keep track of health care services provided to clients and issue bills accordingly
Medical Billing and Coding Specialist
Northwest Hospital, Page, AZ
May 2010 – June 2018
- Translated coded data to generate relevant invoices
- Generated direct billing reports and forwarded the same for verification
- Facilitated charge review, claim submission, and payment posting
- Prepared appropriate claim documents for refund processing on behalf of insured patients
- Obtained necessary clarifications for physician and consultant notes to organize information for coding
- Accurately recorded the patient’s insurance company details into the system
Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
Associate’sDegree in Medical Billing and Coding
City Technical College, Page, AZ – 2010
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, Database, and Outlook
- Insurance websites navigation
Medical Billing and Coding Specialist Resume Sample 2
davis @ email . com
Highly motivated, meticulous, and detail-oriented billing and coding professional with 6+ years of hands-on experience in assigning appropriate ICT-9 and CPT codes to patients’ medical data for information retrieval and bill processing. Track record of making accurate charge entries in IDX system through various user interfaces while demonstrating excellent customer service orientation and strong collaboration skills
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Code Translation
- Bill Processing
- Database Management
- Document Verification
- Charge Slip Evaluation
- Local Coverage Determination
- Data Entry
- Procedural Verification
- Medical Data Interpretation
- NCIS/ CCS
- HIPPA and AAPC
• Reduced bill processing time by 2 hours on average by implementing modern and effective data communication techniques
• Integrated medical data up to 5 years old, aligning it with AAPC coding guidelines
• Attained 98.5% data accuracy level in the year 2022
Medical Billing and Coding Specialist
PIH Healthcare, Kingsport, TN
(Nov 2020 – Present)
• Determine medical records to extract the required information
• Regularly update coding procedures and guidelines
• Assign appropriate procedural codes to diagnostic procedures
• Compile coded information and process the same for billing
• Verify billing and coding records for charge slip generation
• Ensure document code accuracy and medical data confidentiality
AAA Medical, Kingsport, TN
(Jul 2016 – Oct 2020)
• Verified code locations and charge entries
• Maintained patient database and utilized it to extract data regarding medical services provided
• Consulted with physicians for clarification regarding service details
• Translated medical services into appropriate coded data by utilizing ICD-10 and CPT guidelines
• Worked with medical assistants to coordinate services details from patients’ medical charts
• Communicated and rectified documentation discrepancies in the medical record
Certificate in Medical Billing and Coding
Associates Degree in Information Technology
Community College, Kingsport, TN
• Bilingual: English and Spanish
• Computer: MS Office Applications, Internet, Email, Social Media
Medical Billing and Coding Specialist Skills for Resume
Here are a few sample skills for a medical billing and coding specialist that can be mentioned on a resume:
- Working knowledge of ICD-9, ICD-10/11, HCPCS, and OASIS.
- Excellent skills in reviewing delinquent accounts and creating avenues for overdue payments.
- Demonstrated expertise in translating medical procedures into codes that can be easily translated by payers and medical facilities.
- Proficient in appropriately and confidentially handling patient treatment, diagnosis, and procedural information.
- Well-versed in investigating rejected claims and ensuring that they are resubmitted and paid.
- Special talent for investigating insurance fraud and determining ways to counter/avoid sticky situations.
- Skilled in verifying and completing charge information in company-defined databases.
- Familiar with documentation needs (and manners of obtaining them) for insurance claims submission and approval.
- Able to work efficiently with external collection agencies to ensure maximization of reimbursement.
- Particularly effective in handling appeals for denials by employing exceptional knowledge of carriers and appeal processes.
- Special talent for increasing reimbursements by investigating denied claims and providing alternatives to denials.