In order to write an excellent medical billing and coding resume, you have to study the job description provided by the employer and add relevant skills and keywords to your resume.
Most companies receive hundreds of resumes and use ATS to select the resumes that have the correct keywords.
Take a look at the following sample resume for a Medical Billing and Coding position. This example will give you an excellent idea of how to write and what to include in a resume for medical billing and coding positions.
Medical Billing and Coding Resume Example
736 Linn Avenue NE
Albuquerque, NM 54874
Medical Biller & Coder
Detail-oriented and results-focused medical billing and coding professional with 13 years of successful track record of code punching, reconciling insurance and resolving account-related concerns. Certified Coding Specialist (CCS). Familiar with medical terminology. Computer; MS Office Suite, MediSys, and QuickBooks.
BILLING AND CODING EXPERTISE
- ICD-9 Coding
- CPT-4 Coding
- Billing Regulations
- Outpatient/Inpatient Facility Coding
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Translating codes into insurance companies’ preferred coding systems.
- Performing charge review, claim submission, claim follow-up, payment posting, and patient statements.
- Preparing appropriate claim documents.
- Assigning appropriate medical codes to diagnosis and services.
- Successfully managed billing services for 52 patients in a single day without any errors
- Obtained honors after on-the-job training in medical coding
Medical Billing and Coding Specialist
Metropolitan Business Solutions – Albuquerque, NM
Jun 2018 – Present
- Code records by following prescribed coding standards such as ICD-11 and CPT
- Review physician notes and obtain necessary clarifications where necessary
- Ensure signatures on all medical records
- Assign appropriate medical codes to all diagnoses and services
- Prepare appropriate claim documents
- Follow up with insurance companies and ensure that all claims come to fruition
MedSynergies – San Antonio, TX
Sep 2013 – Jun 2018
- Performed day-to-day functions associated with coding, abstracting, and revenue cycle
- Reviewed patient records for proper documentation
- Assigned ICD-9-CM codes for procedures and diagnoses
- Entered and verified abstract data elements
Associate of Science in Medical Coding
San Antonio City College – San Antonio, TX
- MS Office Suite
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A highly motivated person with a positive approach
- Proven ability to speak in a confident and assertive manner
- Exceptional telephone etiquette
Medical Billing and Coding Job Description for Resume
The following are some job duties performed by medical billing and coding professionals. You may use the most appropriate phrases to build a strong resume.
- Evaluated patient records for suitability, completeness, and correctness of health data.
- Recorded data electronically for collection, storage, analysis, recovery, and reporting.
- Arranged and maintained data for medical databases and registries.
- Prepared financial statements and billing procedures.
- Handled all kinds of insurance claims, including private, Medicare, and insurance fraud.
- Collected payment for healthcare services provided.
- Completed insurance and other claim forms.
- Utilized classification software to assign clinical codes for reimbursement and data analysis.
- Protected patients’ health information for privacy.
- Prepared, keyed in, edited, and proofread health check records.
- Interviewed patients with the aim of completing forms, documents, and case histories.
Medical Billing and Coding Skills for Resume
For details on how skills should be listed on a resume, take a look at the following skills list for medical billing and coding resume:
- Track record of managing medical payment collection activities by indulging in extensive medical billing activities.
- Demonstrated expertise in acting as a liaison between medical facilities and insurance carriers including HMOs, PPOs, Medi-cal, and Medicare.
- First-hand experience in using coded data to produce and submit claims to insurance companies to ensure prompt payments.
- Competent at reviewing and appealing unpaid and denied claims.
- Documented success in effectively and efficiently translating medical procedures into codes that can be easily translated by payers and medical facilities.
- Familiar with transmitting coded patient treatment information to intended recipients.
- Proven record of coding treatment information using designated CPT codes and effectively reviewing medical records for accuracy and integrity.
- Unmatched ability to create reimbursement claims and coordinate reimbursement activities with payers.
- Able to process patient data such as treatment records and insurance information to verify data accuracy and integrity.
- Proven ability to liaise with insurance companies to facilitate payments of outstanding claims.
- Particularly effective in verifying coding and billing information to ensure that outstanding payments are paid on time.