Bakers are employed in a variety of settings such as bakeries, hotels, restaurants, and coffee shops.
They make a vast array of foods including bread, pies, cakes, cookies, and pastries. It is an artistic work as bakers do not only bake but decorate baked goods as well.
Baker Job Description
Depending on their place of employment, bakers contribute significantly in charting up an establishment’s dessert menu. They work closely with the management to decide what baked dessert items would attract patrons. Bakers are expected to know the many techniques that are used in modern baking.
They measure ingredients to ensure the right quantity of each product and also kneed and cut dough. Bakers are expected to have great attention to detail as they cannot possibly add or take out any ingredient once a product is put into the oven.
They also need to possess excellent aesthetic sense as a major part of their job is to decorate baked items. The ability to follow recipes and measure ingredients correctly should be inherent in a baker’s personality.
There are several different duties that a baker is expected to perform on a typical workday. Let us have a look at some of these duties to comprehend what a baker is responsible for. These statements will be useful when building a resume for a baker position.
Sample Duties and Responsibilities for Baker Resume
• Measure and mix ingredients to make bread, rolls, pies, pizzas, and cakes
• Weigh materials to ensure the appropriate quantity
• Cut dough into equal parts to ensure that each batch has a uniform appearance
• Mould dough into proper shapes
• Place dough into appropriate pans
• Place pans in ovens and set oven temperature
• Ensure that oven temperature is following the type of product being baked
• Adjust thermostats to ensure that appropriate heat is being transmitted
• Remove baked goods from the oven and place on cooling racks
• Spread sprinkles and other decoration on baked goods
• Prepare icings according to recipes and decorate baked goods appropriately
• Ensure that correct quantities of batches are being made
• Ensure appropriate storage of baking utensils and supplies
• Make sure that baking equipment is cleaned and maintained properly
• Ensure compliance with food safety standards
• Oversee cleanliness and sanitation of work area and equipment
• Manage inventory of supplies and order supplies before they run out
• Clean display cases and replace near expiry baked products with fresh baked goods
• Train new hires in baking techniques
• Package baked good appropriately and place pricing stickers